Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:07:47 AM

Author Topic: Another Aussie Tool Setter not working with ESS SmoothStepper  (Read 1367 times)

Another Aussie Tool Setter not working with ESS SmoothStepper
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
Hi Guys
Been using Mach3 and Greolt's Aussie Tool Setter for some years now and everything was OK.
Had to change my computer and now have it on Windows 10 running ESS SmoothStepper.
Everything works except the Auto Tool Zero, which hangs at the G31z command.
I am running two CNC4PC C10 Bob's - set to 'Pull High' with pin 15 set for 'Active Low'.
When I touch off the touch plate I get the LED flashing and it shows on the digitize pin under diagnostics screen, so it is working.
Doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, more like a software one, but can't figure it out. could someone just have a look at the code, or better, just give it a try please?
Really stumped - and yes, I have gt the ESS configuration correct.
Mach3 is version R3.043.062

The code I am trying to run is;
PlateThickness = 1.5 GetUserDRO(1151) 'Z-plate thickness DRO

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then 'Check to see if the probe is already grounded or faulty
DoOEMButton (1010) 'zero the Z axis so the probe move will start from here
Code "G4 P5" ' this delay gives me time to get from computer to hold probe in place
Code "G31 Z-40 F500" 'probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move
While IsMoving() 'wait while it happens
Wend
ZProbePos = GetVar(2002) 'get the axact point the probe was hit
Code "G0 Z" &ZProbePos 'go back to that point, always a very small amount of overrun
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Call SetDro (2, PlateThickness) 'set the Z axis DRO to whatever is set as plate thickness
Code "G4 P0.25" 'Pause for Dro to update.
Code "G0 Z25.4" 'put the Z retract height you want here
Code "(Z axis is now zeroed)" 'puts this message in the status bar
Else
Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)" 'this goes in the status bar if aplicable
Exit Sub
End If

Noel  >:(
Re: Another Aussie Tool Setter not working with ESS SmoothStepper
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:34:56 PM »
Hello, I have had a similar problem and also use ESS SmoothStepper.
My problem turned out to be my new all metal CNC. I hooked up my touch pad with one wire using alligator clips and the spindle with the other but did not check for polarity. My auto zero script started and set the DRO to zero, the timer ran for 4 seconds and without moving down(G31) to touch off on the pad, would then retract my set distance of 20mm and then text "Z set to zero". My old CNC did not have a metal spindle mount and did not care if I put positive on the spindle. I also touch tested the two wires separately in the diagnostic tab and it appeared to be working properly. I assumed then that the VB script must be wrong for my new machine. After much searching on forums without success I now post my rookie mistake. Spirax
Re: Another Aussie Tool Setter not working with ESS SmoothStepper
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:33:45 PM »
I know this is a necro post, but it's probably worth it.

You guys are using Windows 10, I'll bet?

I had all sorts of weird issues with probing with Windows 10 and the ESS. Late 2018, Warp9 released a patched version of the Mach3 .EXE file for version .062. IT was intended to resolve some issues with the Windows 10 v1803 patch, but it also seems to have fixed my probing issues. You guys might consider giving it a shot.

Here's the link: https://warp9td.com/index.php/sw/software-mach#MachThree

(Yes, I'm going to post this in a couple of necro threads, because those are what comes up when googling about G31 / probing issues with ESS and Mach3.)