Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:08:30 AM

Author Topic: Using a PWM controlled laser, Mach 4 vs Mach3  (Read 7303 times)

Re: Using a PWM controlled laser, Mach 4 vs Mach3
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 05:34:49 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply!

So can I just run the PWM/TTL wires from a 32bit parallel port, to my BOB and onto my laser driver then, the Impact/Laser engraver module will work?

Or will I need to use a stepper driver and use the Step/Dir pins from this spare axis to send the signals? This would also involve creating/editing a PP to send the Z up and Z down signals to turn the laser on and off.

Sorry for all the questions but there's so many options I've read about and I'm a bit confused.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 06:11:21 AM »
So can I just run the PWM/TTL wires from a 32bit parallel port, to my BOB and onto my laser driver then, the Impact/Laser engraver module will work?

No, that is not the way the Impact/Laser Engraver plugin works.
My introduction to the plugin can be downloaded from the link given in post #7   
The .pdf explains operation of the plugin in more detail (no PWM signal is required).

Or will I need to use a stepper driver and use the Step/Dir pins from this spare axis to send the signals? This would also involve creating/editing a PP to send the Z up and Z down signals to turn the laser on and off.

No, the plugin uses Digital Trigger pulses (derived from the axis step pulses) no Post Processor is required neither is any Z axis movement required to turn the laser on or off.

You may find more information in my web pages here;
http://www.tweakie.byethost10.com/27_files/Page652.htm

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 06:15:13 AM »
I'll check those out... Thank you!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 04:54:19 AM »
I've read through the links you gave me, thanks! There's a LOT of information on your laser project thread. 😊
Are you still using the inline parallel port with the opto-couplers? I'd saw the pictures before but never really took it in, exactly what I was looking at. That's some fantastic work you've done!

Do you have the specification for the opto-couplers and the LED resistors (so I can search on eBay for them)? Also can the two parallel ports with the breadboard be bought, or did you custom build that as well?  I know it's not a breakout board as such but it's doing the same job. It's probably obvious to you but, I'm not too experienced with electronics. I can solder and the circuit layout doesn't look too complicated but all these things are easy, when you know how!  Your instructions/schematics are really good, I just need some part numbers/specs to start.

I've also read Jtech photonics options for controlling a laser using Mach3.  They recommend using a TB6560 4axis board or a DB25 Dual BOB adapter.  Are these like 'off the shelf' versions of your setup?

I checked my parallel port on my computer and unfortunately it has 3.3v outputs.  I have older computers laying around so, I'll get one that has 5v outputs.

Finally, I haven't been able to get confirmation that the ESS will work alongside the parallel port.  I was thinking/hoping that if I enabled the second parallel port in Mach3 settings then, the 2nd parallel port would control the laser and the ESS would control everything else.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
The Optocoupler I used was Type PC123 and the 1k resistor was 1/8th Watt.

I made the 25 way connector circuit board but I have seen DB25 Male to Female Test / Measurement Adapters available on ebay – perhaps worth a look.

Be careful of the cheap Chinese 4 axis boards – sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. This forum has plenty tales of woe from buyers of the cheap stuff.

If you are going to be using the Parallel Port then a 5 Volt version is essential.

You cannot use the Parallel Port and the ESS at the same time.
If you have an ESS then why not use the Warp9 laser control system ?
 https://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach4#LaserSetup

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 07:38:49 AM »
I know, it's very frustrating because that's for Mach4. I'm using Mach3.

Newfangled solutions have developed a few plugins for Mach4 called LUA, Core and Regfile.  I don't think these will work with Mach3

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »
Newfangled solutions have developed a few plugins for Mach4 called LUA, Core and Regfile.  I don't think these will work with Mach3

I don't think they will either.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE