Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:22:31 AM

Author Topic: Only X axis responds  (Read 3611 times)

Only X axis responds
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »
I am new to CNC. I bought a controller and motors from a reputable dealer. I hooked it up to the computer to see if I could make the motors turn as a first step. All commands sent to X and Y motors are executed by the X motor. How can I test or troubleshoot my connection to the other motors? Thanks!

Hood

Re: Only X axis responds
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »
Without actually knowing what hardware you have we cant really suggest any specific tests.
First thing though would be to check that you get voltage changes on the pins out of the parallel port. as an example if you have a Direction pin set up as pin 5 then put a voltmeter between it and ground and toggle that direction pin with the keyboard, you should see the meter change between 5V and  0V (or 0v and 5v) as you change direction. You can also do the same with the step pins but you wont see 5v as it will be rising and falling to quick for a meter to keep up but you will see a voltage increase as youy jog via the keyboard. If you have an osciliscope you can look at the pulse from the step pin.

Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »
Hi, Mhickler

Look under Config Tab top left of screen, Click on Ports & Pins then Motor Outputs, Sounds like there all set to pins 3, 2, Set your Y to different Pin #'s.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:49:21 PM »
Yes, to both responses. I had a feeling that it was ports and pins. All are set to 3 for Step and 2 for Direction. Do both change for each axis? Are there any likely recipes? I'm waiting to hear back from my controller maker. He may have the solution. Thanks so much for the help so far.

Hood

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »
will probably be 5 Step and 4 Direction for the Y Axis
Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
I found my documentation and found the proper pin settings. Now only X works with X commands. Others are motionless.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:03:52 PM »
Joy! Your last tip did it. I had transposed the numbers. Thanks VERY much!