Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:51:38 PM

Author Topic: z height and machine 'parking" - mach3  (Read 2936 times)

z height and machine 'parking" - mach3
« on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to adjust a  z height setting.  Instead of the machine lowering the spindle when it goes to soft home. i would like it to lower to a certain height(ex. 1.25"). In my software prefer to set up my jobs to surface to table rather than the material itself. If i were to do so with the way it is now the bit plunges into the material after completion and going to home.  If that's not possible in mach3 what about using the machine coordinates and setting up the machine to "park" in the back of the machine with the z raised instead of going home.

Thank you,

Mike
Re: z height and machine 'parking" - mach3
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 01:15:26 AM »
Hi,
look up the Safe-Z-Height setting.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
I have tried setting the safe z but it still lowers to its zero location and saying safe z ignored, z already higher than safe z setting. doesn't make sense.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:39:21 AM »
Hi,
it sounds like you have your Z axis set up funny.

Most CNC's are setup so that the very top of the Z travel is machine coordinate zero, ie Z axis Home.
Any real Z axis moves 'within' the machining volume will occur at negative values (Machine Coordinates) of z.
Your Work Coordinates are usually set to zero at the surface of the material, so a cutting move will be negative z but
a positive z will be above the work, note.....Work Coordinates.

Is this how your CNC is setup?

Note that the Safe Z Setup page allow you to choose Machine coordinates, Work coordinates and Incremental.
What have you set? Why did you choose that setting?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:05:09 AM »
it's set up that way. everything works as it should. i'm just trying to find out if there is a setting to have the tool offset from zero when it goes home. similar to safe z where it lifts to a safe height then travels. instead of lowering back down when it gets to its home, it just stays at that (safe) height. I don't recall which one i have it set to right now, but i did try them all and didn't do what i am looking for.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:07:33 AM by CreativeScribing »