Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:17:30 AM

Author Topic: Lathe tool table  (Read 2487 times)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
Lathe tool table
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »
I have set up my lathe tool table using tool 1 as reference.  How can I make an adjustment to tool 1 without having to reset all the other tools?

Vince

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe tool table
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:49 AM »
I don't know the details of how a tool table works so forgive me if this idea isn't practical.
Assign a new tool number to the new position you want for tool 1. Then use the new number instead of tool 1. Tool 1 remains only as the reference for other tools.

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
I have an 8 tool carousel that is electronically linked to Mach, meaning each position is hard wired.  I can't fool Mach into thinking tool 1 is anything other than tool 1 (like it can't be tool 9).  I also can't have a tool 0 as it is greyed out in the tool screen.

Vince

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 07:39:18 AM »
Vince,
Do you use probing to set up / populate the tool table?

Tool 0 info can't be changed in Mach. Tool 0 is not recognized by many programs as a valid tool number.
But, a tool like tool 0 with no offsets, can be used to advantage for measuring when in  Machine Coordinates.
I use the master tool concept where tool #1 is the master tool and has no offsets which makes tool zero 0
usefull for setting up tool and work ( ie; you can't screw up the tool table by changing tool #1 offsets which will change the other tool offset.

Have you looked at the G10 L1  command which will change the tools offset?

You can also use "wear" in the tool table to provide for adjustment of a tool.

Also note that you have a master tool and that all the other tools are related to the master tool, but,
also understand that ALL the tools are related to each other.  Thus any tool can be used for setup
once the tool table is populated appropriately.

RICH
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:46:50 AM by RICH »

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:15:37 PM »
I am aware of the wear in the tool table.  I'm not sure how G10 would help me.  No I don't use a probe to set up the tool.  I put a 1/2" precision pin gage in the headstock and set all the tool offsets from that.  Now, each time I am working on a project, I set tool 1 based on the length and width of the stock and the rest of the tools are good to go, correct?

Vince

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »
Vince,

1. I have set up my lathe tool table using tool 1 as reference. 
How can I make an adjustment to tool 1 without having to reset all the other tools?

You are correct in knowing that if you change tool number #1 offfsets it will affect all the other tool use."All" the tools were originaly touched off to same reference point / surface. One can change all the other tool offsets appropriately based on tool#1 adjustment or physicaly position tool#1 back to where it should be relative to the other tools.

So the easiest way would be to touch off to the the X and Z  reference points using one
of the other tools ( their relationships have not changed). Then select tool #1, and move the correct distance, to the same X and Z reference points and reposition tool#1 in the holder. Now repositioning the master tool can be a PITA and that's why I use the equivilent of a cut off tool for the master tool since it has  flat sides and a perpendicular front.

I assume you danaged tool#1 which was the master tool. Frankly the master tool should not be used for machining and and it should not have any tool offsets!

2.  I put a 1/2" precision pin gage in the headstock and set all the tool offsets from that.  Now, each time  I am working on a project, I set tool 1 based on the length and width of the stock and the rest of the tools are good to go, correct?

Most programs produce code that is precompensated for lathe tool geometry.
Most generated code will be based on the stock being at some X and Z=0 where the stock centerline is on the lathes center line and the stock face is Z =0.  If the tool table is correct, touch off with the master tool#1 to define a work offset (G54 is Mach lathe default) and all should be good to go. From a defined tool change / home postion you can touch off with any of the tools.

I suggest the following if using Mach3 Lathe:
- Use a different screen set than the default Lathe Screen set.
- Use probing for work set up and tool setting.
- Create a custom screen set to satisfy how you work.

FWIW,
I use a simple homemade four surface tool setter which takes care of "ANY" type of  lathe tool. A pin is just a PITA and you will make mistakes.The probing and a custom page to set tools just makes ease for the whole process.

RICH
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:13:16 PM by RICH »

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »
I have not damaged tool #1, but I do use it.  I only have 8 tool positions on my turret (Hardinge CHNC) and I use them all.  These are not individual tools like used with and Alaris tool holders. 

I don't know enough about Mach to make my own screen sets, heck, I just figured out I can thread with my setup.

Thanks for the tips.

Vince

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 06:12:32 AM »
Vince,
Do you have any tool offsets in the tool table for tool#1 which is your master tool?

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
Vince,
I need to review my posted replies as they may need a few clarifications.

Later,
RICH

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 11:39:42 PM »
Also, I don't know what you mean by probing. 

Vince