Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:58:11 AM

Author Topic: Stepper motors interfering with each other using mach4?  (Read 1413 times)

Stepper motors interfering with each other using mach4?
« on: January 22, 2019, 04:11:38 AM »
Hey all, So had my machine running with Mach3/parallel port and all ran smooth and no sign of this issue.

I "upgraded" to Mach4 and a Ethernet smooth stepper and now if I manually jog one axis at a time there is no problem but say im jogging down the Y axis then while keeping the keyboard down arrow pressed I press the right arrow and jog X a little bit then let go of X (all while still jogging Y) the steppers make a very audible "doonk" noise (technical description)

same thing If I do X continuously then tap Y.

I realized If I do say Y continuously and hold my hand on the Y stepper when I start and then let go of X and hear the "doonk" noise I can feel it in the Y stepper so its as if stopping travel in another axis momentarily stalls the active axis?

It does not have any issues with running G-code whether in the MDI or a program.

It has been bad enough to cause me to loose steps while manually jogging and loosing my location. Now im very careful to not jog more then one axis at once. :(

Im thinking it may have something to do with the keyboard plugin?

Advance thanks for the help
-Clint

Offline mgt

•  2 2
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper motors interfering with each other using mach4?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
I have the exact same issue, I think.

https://youtu.be/7jMRlXzemKc

Per
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
Hi,
there is a discussion of this condition on the Warp9 website.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
Yep I have the same issue.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:53:08 AM »
Hi,

Im thinking it may have something to do with the keyboard plugin?

No, that is incorrect, it is a fault with the ESS Mach4 plugin. Andy, the service and development guy at War9 TD is aware
of the problem. He is currently fully engaged with developing THC for the Mach4 ESS plugin, but he will be addressing
this problem in due course.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 04:18:00 PM »
Craig, do you have a link for the thread on the Warp9 website? I cant seem to find it?

Offline mgt

•  2 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
I tried the fix suggested over at the Warp9 forum, but to no luck. Also I can't do incremental steps reliably, it acts really strange. But that's another story.