Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:33:20 PM

Author Topic: Getting Outputs to work?  (Read 4054 times)

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
Getting Outputs to work?
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
Hi,

I have 3 axis with enable, limits and home switches all working fine.
I am trying to get a couple of relays to work but have run into problems...

I have set the Output#1 & Output#2 pins to 16 & 17 respectively and have set the flood and mist commands to point to one of these each and removed the "disable" checkbox.
The lights on the diagnostic screen flash as expected when the buttons are toggled on.

The problem seems to be that I am not getting any volts out of either pin. I have checked with a multimeter on both pins and neither of them are giving out any voltage and appear to be permanently connected to ground?

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be going wrong please?

Thanks
Simon
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:36:19 PM by SimonD »

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Outputs to work?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:10:57 PM »
You might have open collector port and you have to supply the weak positive supply, or a faulty port, or if you have two ports, you might be measuring the wrong port. Also remember that the port has weak pull ups in some cases, so if you are connected to a breakout board, remove the plug and check the port on its own, i.e. unconnected.Some newer ports only operate at 3.3V and not all are necesarily 5V tolerant, so depending on your hardware, it is not easy to say what your problem is. Can you check the functionality of the port with a parallel interface printer?

There is also a port pin test program for windows, if you need it, ask me.

Whacko
Nothing's impossible

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I had no idea what an "open collector port" was so I had a bit of a read on the net (I'm slightly more enlightened now)

I have 2 ports on the PC and have tested both, neither of them give out any voltage on the pins themselves with nothing connected even when MACH3 says that is it.
I will try and get a parallel printer and see if it works ok.

I should try pin 8 & 9, I have not tried those ones, I was hoping to save them for a 4th axis.

The port pin test program would be handy to try please.

Thanks
Simon

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
I sent you a pm

Whacko
Nothing's impossible

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 02:02:00 AM »
Hi, Simon

In Config, Ports & Pins, Spindle Setup, Have you un-checked the "Flood/Mist Control Disable Box". ?, And put in Different/Your Output # ?.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:09:43 AM »
Pin 16  is a standard output pin and was to initialise the printer. Pin 17 is an inverted output and was a "select" output.
I would think that your computer would use these and it is difficult to see why anybody making a computer would take the trouble not to connect them - particularly if  you have the rest of the system working so well. The other "output" pins are 1 and 14, both inverted.

Try using these two and see what signals you are getting out. What are you using to check the outputs. If it is a multimeter, you will have to check against the negative rail (pins 18 to 25) because there is not positive supply available on the port.

I have pins 1 and 14 supply ( via transistors) a couple of relays to turn on the spindle, so these work.
Make sure you are counting from the right end of the plug, numbers 1 to 13 go along the top row but 14 is back to the other end on the bottom row (under number 1) - if you count from the wrong end you will only get the earthed or signal ground pins.
If you are stuck I will check what outputs I get on mine, but I don't have time right now.

You sound as if  you will have - but make sure your lead is fully connected.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 06:43:23 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. All is working now.

I think it must have been a bad connection somewhere. I took the PC apart, removed the LPT card, put everything back together after swearing at it all and it seems to be working now! I have a healthy 5v coming out of the pins when activated by MACH3.

Thanks again
Simon