Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:15:35 AM

Author Topic: Please help 6040 cnc  (Read 1429 times)

Please help 6040 cnc
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »
I have a 6040 china cnc that I had running fine but my pc died and I got everything back up and running but I get a random clunk or jerk while operating x and y axis. What should I look for?
Re: Please help 6040 cnc
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »

I am running a paid version of mach 3 with a dedicated xp machine offline with a parallel cable. Any help would be useful.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »
Hi,
if its genuinely random I would guess it is other software and /or services running on the PC which has temporarily starved the
parallel port driver/pulse engine of CPU service.

You should have no other software than Mach installed or certainly running.

What PC are you using? Laptops are not recommended as they are inclined to stutter and pause because of the power saving features
of the operating system.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
It’s an old PC Xp desktop, nothing on it but Mach 3. The cpu usage goes from 16 to 35 percent. Sometimes I see a jump when it happens to 36 percent but not always. I don’t get this issue when I use the cnc usb program it came with. I’m using parellel cable with Mach 3, windows update is disabled no screen saver and PC never goes to sleep.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:00 AM »
Hi,
I'm still of the opinion that the parallel port is getting starved of CPU service. As you know some PCs seemed to do well and other
do poorly without any particular reason. Is it possible that the PC you have chosen is just not a good model for Machs parallel port.

A USB (or Ethernet) connected external motion controller takes over all the critical timing functions required to generate pulse streams
from the CPU of the PC. Thus any well behaved USB controller should be smoother and less prone to stuttering than a parallel port.

I personally would get an external motion controller like a SmoothStepper of a UC300 and I would NOT EVEN CONSIDER CHINESE
RUBBISH!!!!

I bought an Ethernet SmoothStepper (by Warp9 TD) about 2-1/2 years ago and its been brilliant....no stuttering....no stalls on video redraws....
smoother motion....cooler motors and the motors even sound better!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'