Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:45:34 PM

Author Topic: Can the "Import DXF's" feature be modified in Mach3?  (Read 4046 times)

Can the "Import DXF's" feature be modified in Mach3?
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:20:01 PM »
I searched the forums and was not able to find what I'm looking for, so maybe someone here could help me. I've been using Mach3 with a Xylotex 3-axis stepper controller to drive a New Hermes engraver. Everything works great but I recently built a 50 watt CO2 laser that I would like to interface to the engraver. I plan on controlling the laser beam on/off with Spindle M3 and M5 codes, and I won't be needing any Z-axis moves. Is there a way that the Import DXF's "Generate G-code" function can be modified to place M3 codes in place of where it would normally place Z-axis moves? If it isn't alterable, then could someone suggest a DXF to G-code converter that is configurable? I would also like to create some other special M-codes for other functions.  If possible, I do not want to have to do any software programming, only program setup and configuration. Thanks!
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Can the "Import DXF's" feature be modified in Mach3?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »
Maybe you could use the 2.5D feature and control your laser with the z axis output.  Any time  your gcode calls for a neg z the output would go on, when gcode calls for + Z the output goes off. 
I used this for my router with a air cylinder on the Z, controlled by a solenoid.  Then you don't have to modify any gcode.

Arnie
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »
Hey, that sounds like it would do exactly what I need, but I'm not familiar with the "2.5D" feature!  What is it and where can I access it?

Thanks!
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
Yes I believe it will do what you are looking for.

It can be located under general configuration,  you check the box marked z 2.5D on output #6, then you setup output #6 under ports and pins for the correct location on your parallel port interface.  Use this output to turn on and off the laser or as another person asked just below this post a solenoid.   When Z goes - it toggles off or on depending on how you setup the port, and toggles again when z goes +.

Arnie
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:42:19 PM »
Ya know, I just realized that there is a laser control function already built in to the DXF converter! It's the checkbox labeled "Plasma". When that box is checked, the converter will place M3 codes at the beginning of all the cutting moves, and then ends the moves with M5. DUH! That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I didn't dig deeply enough to find out what "Plasma" does until now! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you for your input.  (Pun intended!)   ;D