Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:28:30 AM

Author Topic: Steppers hang when a program finishes! Any ideas?  (Read 1108 times)

Steppers hang when a program finishes! Any ideas?
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:06:45 PM »
I few weeks ago a car crashwd into a power pole, a few blocks away.

The resulting power surge blew out my G0704 conversions C10 breakout board, C6 spindle board and the KB125 board driving my spindle motor.  Otherwise the machine has been running like a champ since 2014.

I have surge protectors installed now
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:09:18 PM by Ken226 »
Re: Steppers hang when a program finishes! Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
Hi,
it sounds like the two axes (X&Y) rapid traversing to the 0,0 location is just too fast. Why it should have changed from your
previous hardware/software settings I don't know.

How about reducing your Vmax on both X and Y  by 50% and run another job just to see whether the reduced maximum velocity
improves the situation.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
I've tried rapid speeds from 100ipm down to 50ipm.

At 50ipm, the stall is abould half as bad as is at 100. But, it happens at pretty much all speeds.

Ill try using mdi to simulteneously rapid x and y to see what happens.

I,ve got a brand new C11 rev 9.9 (non g) in a box. I may swap that in as its probably a better board anyway, just to see what happens.

But, page 7 of the C11 manual says its spindle controller uses PWM, and page 8 says ots a step/dir controller. 

I havnt figured out which it is yet.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:00:35 PM by Ken226 »
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
Hi,
it certainly sounds like you have/are testing to see whether its just excessive Vmax that is causing the issue.
From your description I would say it is not the fault of the steppers or drivers. It not an absolutely clear determination that
that is the case but is very suggestive of it.

If its not the fault of the steppers/drivers then I would guess the fault is the pulse stream coming from the motion controller.
Are you using a parallel port or and external motion controller?

I'm wondering if something like the motion buffer is running out of data.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
Its through the parallel port.

Right now, im leaning toward the step signal or voltage issue in the BOB while rapiding on both axii at the same time.  Perhaps the power draw of both axis fyom the bob output is causing a voltage drop thats affecting the step signal.

But, im just guessing.  I think ill swap in the big full size C11 and see what happens.  The C11 uses a seperate power supply to power the cnc side of the board from the supply that powers the opto-isolated PC side.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »
The c11 board completely cured the steppers stalling at the end of a program, but has its own problems.

I cant get the analog spindle output to work.

Its linearity is awful, and since the manual on one page says it needs a pwm signal, and the next page says to set it for step/dir, im not even sure if im setting it up correctly.

Ive tried both settings, and neither work.

Step/dir seems to work best, but

If i set it up step/dir, set my max pulley speed to 6000,  then turn on the spindle on and use my multimeter to adjust the c11 pot untill i get 10 volts, changing the spindle speed to 3000 results in 1.84 volts rather than the 5ish i should be seeing.  1000 rpm setting gets me .02 volts.

I guess tomorrow i need to decide if im going to return the c11 for replacement, or just scrap the c11 and go back to a c10 and c6 card.

The c10/c6 combo has always worked well for me.