Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:25:57 PM

Author Topic: Slot cutting  (Read 2667 times)

Slot cutting
« on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:05 AM »
Does anyone know if there is an easier way to use LazyCAM to generate a toolpath with the following:
1 Constant Z height setting of ZERO
2 Rapid moves back to X0, then Y0 after each pass
WITHOUT the need to manually code it!!

What I did, was import a *.plt file which contained vertical lines (of the desired cut length) which measure 1.75", and are spaced 0.003" apart
The tool I am using, is a carbide slot cutter which measures 1.75" diameter, with 1/16" wide cutting teeth.
The theory was, that LazyCAM would generate a toolpath which would equate to the normal "Depth per pass" along the X axis, instead of the Z. The Rapid Height, Starting Depth, and Cutting Depth are all set to ZERO to prevent ANY Z movement during cutting. One must pay attention during cutting, and FeedHold the machine, then jog to at least X-1.0" before hitting the STOP button, (as this causes the Z axis to raise completely, resulting in a broken cutter, if it is still positioned within the current slot being cut!).

The G code generated by LazyCAM had to be modified, in order to force the machine to return to X0, then Y0 before each "Step Over" of the X axis of 0.003"
by entering G0 X0.0000
G0 Y0.0000 in front of each pass (for example G1 X0.0000 Y0.0000, G1 X0.0030 Y1.7500)
What I was hoping for, was to pass each pass starting at Y0 and cutting to Y1.75, "Stepping Over" to X0.0030 and repeating. THEN rapid back to X0 first, then Y0, And stepping over to the next cut (x0.0060) at the current feed rate (of 6 IPM), and continuing in this manner. I was able to achieve this, but it was after a couple of HOURS of hand-coding. I really feel that LazyCAM is capable of doing such a toolpath, But I am just not familiar with it enough to know what settings/ options need to be changed in order to achieve this. Can anyone steer me on this?
THANKS in advance, and Merry Christmas!
-Mike

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Slot cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 07:21:35 AM »
adprinter,

Everything I know about Lazycam can be found in the Lazycam Manual I wrote 9 years ago. The manual is the only form of information on LC.
No documentation of LC was ever provided for the program when it was obtained, thus it is still the same / never changed, and was not developed more
since being obtained.
Read the manual,  Tutorial #6 & #7 (2.1) in particular.

RICH

Re: Slot cutting
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:39:38 AM »
Thanks, Rich. As I said in my original post, I hand coded the file. Which worked fine. These slot cutters are great! I am already thinking of using them to cut finger joints, for constructing small boxes, etc. I've just got to "experiment" with them, to determine the optimum Z movements to achieve equal slot widths/finger widths. Happy New Year!
-Michael