Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:39:20 AM

Author Topic: Newbies getting started  (Read 2409 times)

Newbies getting started
« on: December 21, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
Anyone starting out in the CNC world such as myself for example have a lot of things to sort out, how much do i invest, is this for me, etc. Well if your still trying things and want to have some fun with your creativity there is something i found called PIXELCNC. I was told that Mach systems won't run the gcode that it generates, this is not totally true. All you have to do is delete the first 2 lines of the code, save it and send it off to your machine. I have been designing and cutting crazy stuff just to play with it.

It has a fully functional free trial and if you like it here it comes , it is only $60.00. If nothing else I have learned a lot, and the customer service is outstanding. They really want to help in any way. OK, that's enough.

Good Luck

And Thanks to Bryanna for your help with getting logged in.
Re: Newbies getting started
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
Hi,
Have you tried Mach3?  I'm reading that the demo version will only work on 500 lines of code.  Do you know that to be true?  I've purchased some DXF files and can't get them to display in Mach3.  I'm thinking this could be my problem.

Bev
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
Beverly30,

Mach3 does have a 500 gCode line limit in the demo mode.

Perhaps it is just terminology but Mach3 does not display dxf files, only gcode.  If in fact you were trying to display a dxf you will first have to run it through some CAM program to generate gcode.

HTH

RT
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
Thank you!  I did mean GCode.  I'm using Fusion 360 to create the GCode and Mach3 to run the machine.  I purchases some DXF files and used Fusion 360 to create the Gcode.  Post processing via 360 seems fine, no errors.  Just no tool path in Mach3 and won't run on our machine. 

Do you know if the licensed version has unlimited lines?  I bet this is why i can't see my projects in Mach3.  Do you know what the licensed version costs by any chance? 

Bev
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
I use Mach4 now for 2 years.

Mach3 Licensed version has unlimited lines. 

When you load a .tap or .txt gcode file are there any error messages in the Status/History window?  such as 'bad Character on line...' or 'unsupported gcode'

Did you use the Mach3 post processor from fusion360?

Does the roadrunner.tap file load and display?
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »
We just purchased a table from Langmuir systems.  I'm following all their download instructions.  There's a plugin controller file, a dll file and Mach3 demo version.  I'm not sure if we can use Mach4 since another person on here said that the controller in the table is a Chinese type and it may not work well with Windows 10 even or Mach4. 

I would need to contact Langmuir to see if we can use Mach4.  I just don't want to spend the money on Mach3 it that isn't our issue. 

I haven't looked at error messages in the Status/History window.  I can do that tonight.  I do know our files are way over 500 lines. 

Yes, I used Fusion360 Post process.  No errors and I simulated the path and it looks perfect on all the files I worked with.  No errors.  I'm using a Hypotherm 45xp cutter.  I use the cutting feature.  We have a plasma cutter.  XY axis only for our table. 

What's roadrunner.tap file?  I'm not aware of this file.  Sorry--I'm really new to this process.  I'm trying to learn this then I need to teach my husband.  It's actually his.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Langmuir just got back with me and I need to have my laptop plugged into the machine before it will display my tool path.  Also, he did say that the Demo version has a 500 line limit.  Not sure if that's just for the view or will the machine stop at 500 lines?  I need to find that bit out. 

Newbie learning curve...UGH

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
Machin ewill stop after 500 lines of G-code. That is limitation of demo to familiarize yourself with the software, and if it suits your needs to purchase a license.
Without 500 line limitation it would be a free software :D
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
I hope this below answers some of your questions. This is all available for anyone to review at the PIXELCNC INFO PAGE AND TRIAL DOWNLOAD.

A free trial version of PixelCNC is available for download. It imposes an input image pixel-area limit of 65k pixels (i.e. 256x256, 512x128) and does not allow loading/saving of project files. The free trial offered is otherwise fully-featured, with the capabilities of the full version.  Users can download it and test out PixelCNC's functionality and toolpath generation for themselves.

Ken