Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:57:44 AM

Author Topic: Homing a machine without limit switches installed?  (Read 1172 times)

Homing a machine without limit switches installed?
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »
Hi everyone - I've tried the search and Google found some results, although it won't link - since the search is broken.

That said, is there a way to Home the machine (and save it)  without limit switches installed? Machine is a Sieg Super X3.

Thanks!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Homing a machine without limit switches installed?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:13:35 AM »
Sorry to say, but I think you need to install home / limit switches - otherwise how can you expect the PC know the exact position of the machine ?   ;)

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:17:43 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
Hi,
without home switches Mach can 'home in place' So what you do is jog to a specific location, maybe bottom right corner with the
Z axis uppermost and then hit 'Ref All Home' and Mach will treat it current location as its home and reference the axes.
This method is as repeatable as you are accurate about jogging to the exact same location at the start of each Mach session.
Never likely to be as good as good quality home switches but....

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »
Hi,
without home switches Mach can 'home in place' So what you do is jog to a specific location, maybe bottom right corner with the
Z axis uppermost and then hit 'Ref All Home' and Mach will treat it current location as its home and reference the axes.
This method is as repeatable as you are accurate about jogging to the exact same location at the start of each Mach session.
Never likely to be as good as good quality home switches but....

Craig

Makes sense - thanks Craig for the reply. Any recommendations on decent switches (brands) or where to get them, for an X3 mill?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
Hi,
I use these switches, Omron make almost identical units, both brands are good quality.

I made a little aluminum 'ramp' which attaches to the axis (on a slotted hole for fine adjustment) which activate the roller. It means that if and when the axis overruns
it does not exceed the switches 'overtravel' and damage it.

https://nz.element14.com/honeywell/bzc-2rq18-a2/switch-basic-top-roller-plunger/dp/1525198?st=roller plunger

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
Hi,
I use these switches, Omron make almost identical units, both brands are good quality.

I made a little aluminum 'ramp' which attaches to the axis (on a slotted hole for fine adjustment) which activate the roller. It means that if and when the axis overruns
it does not exceed the switches 'overtravel' and damage it.

https://nz.element14.com/honeywell/bzc-2rq18-a2/switch-basic-top-roller-plunger/dp/1525198?st=roller plunger

Craig

Awesome - those look well made! Thanks you!