Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:42:13 AM

Author Topic: works in 2.0, goes nuts in 2.02  (Read 2949 times)

Offline cephjedi

•  8 8
  • I keep octopuses. I play guitar. I love inventing!
    • View Profile
works in 2.0, goes nuts in 2.02
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:37:34 AM »
Hi Gang!

I'm a total newbie, so apologies if I ask something blatantly ignorant.  :)

I registered lazycam last week and have been trying to make Gcode files for the parts in Joe's 2006 homebrew CNC machine  (see the CNCzone forums for plans and info)

He listed the parts in DWG format, and I've used a couple different programs to convert these to DXF format for LazyCam.   I've tried many different methods because the newest version of lazycam makes a big mess out of the import- as if it's finding tons of miscellaneous entities in the DXF files that aren't visible in the drawing programs.   After fighting with LC 2.02, I decided to try the 2.0 version- and it worked much more smoothly!   

here's an example part:  The left inside gantry part of Joe Che'2006 DIY router. 

Does anyone have insight as to what LC 2.02 is trying to do that 2.0 isn't?

You guys at Artsoft have really done a great job bringing CNC technology to us hobbyists- Thanks a million for all your efforts.

Cheers, Jim
The Force is like Duct Tape:  It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it binds the galaxy together.
Re: works in 2.0, goes nuts in 2.02
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:59:34 PM »
That's crazy looks like it remembered all the drawings mirrors and rotates, anyway resaved it and used 0.05 connection tolerance and its now usable.

Wes
Have a nice Day

Offline cephjedi

•  8 8
  • I keep octopuses. I play guitar. I love inventing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
Sweet!   Thanks for converting that for me!   Now, I still have to convert about 70 more pieces, so could you elaborate on what you did to make it work?   I changed my connection tolerance to .05 as well, but it still makes a mess of the part.   Did you just clean it up by hand?

many thanks in advance!    Jim
The Force is like Duct Tape:  It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it binds the galaxy together.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
i brought the drawing into  my cad prgram and then resaved it, if i was guessing which i am the drawing header contains all the rotate and mirrors that was used.  Lazycam sees these and put them into the drawing during the import, resaving clears the header.  I did find another problem with lazycam though When it trys to make the slots lazycam won't make the radius with anything larger than a .105 bit(now idea where to find such a bit just the largest value that i could get to work).  This is a lazycam bug it should be able to make the slot with any bit with a radius smaller than the radius of arc which is .125.

Wes
Have a nice Day