Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:11:03 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4, Modbus and HuanYang VFDs  (Read 4989 times)

Mach 4, Modbus and HuanYang VFDs
« on: November 19, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
I am moving from Mach3 to Mach4, and the final thing I need to get working is the Modbus connection to my HuanYang VFD.

I have not tried to configure it using the standard Mach4 modes plugin as I believe that the HuanYang protocol has some subtle differences.

With Mach 3 I am using a 3rd party plugin which unfortunately has never had its source code released.

So my questions are:

1. Is the Mach4 modes plugin known to work, or known to not work, with HuanYang VFDs?
2. If it doesn't work, is there any existing option for HuanYang VFDs?
3. If there isn't any existing solution, is the source code of the Mach4 modes plugin available, so that I can make it work with a HuanYang VFD?
Re: Mach 4, Modbus and HuanYang VFDs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:19:29 AM »
'modes' should be 'modbus' throughout -- damn autocorrect
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »
+1 on needing an answer to this issue ( although I am not that far on yet, I should be soon)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »
don't have an answer for the question at hand but make sure that your hy vfd actually came with the modbus chip, mine didn't.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »
Thats not good to hear.

How were you abke to tell?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »
That was 10+ years ago.  I think I found a user manual that had a drawing with the modbus chip depicted.  Don't have it now.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »
Certainly not trying to be snarky, but if you were able/ are able to use HY VFD on Mach 3, then you have a version of the VFD with MODBUS capabilities. 

This is the easiest and most complete test I know of...

Good luck.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
No snark taken.  If you have ever seen me post anything related to electronics you would have seen that I admit I am electronically challenged!
I don't recall the sequence but after trying to get modbus to work I got a translated copy of the hy manual and the diagram.  I asked for the missing modbus chip and they sent it along with a diagram as to where to solder.  I never did since I didn't have the right solder tools and feared that I would screw up the board.  By then I had it running without modbus checked using step and direction for the spindle from the smooth stepper board.

Again, I am electronically challenged and I guess this doesn't prove that I am not using modbus but I wouldn't know how to check that is working/available,

RT

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
Thousands of people are using Huanyang VFD's with modbus plugins, so I don't believe that modbus support in the VFD has been an issue for many years
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 09:19:53 PM »
Gerry,

Agreed when it comes to Mach3.  Mach4 is a different story last I checked.  Somewhere on my computer (at home) is a 30% completed M4 routine for the HY VFD drive.  If/ when I go to M4 I assumed it would be easiest to just pluck down the money for a Hitachi drive or another drive that correctly supports the MODBUS standard.