Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 01:45:36 AM

Author Topic: Mach4, Pokeys and Lexium  (Read 1146 times)

Mach4, Pokeys and Lexium
« on: November 09, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »
Greetings all...I am new to smaller machine tech and recently purchased a Pokeys 57CNC BOB for a small custom machine and I am having a heck of a time hooking it up to a trio of Lexium Ethernet drives. The drives are all configured in S/D mode but I get one little "clik" sound out of them on jog and not a bit beyond that. The drives have a million settings but I have a basic Step/Dir wiring config on pins 4,3 respectively and connected to pins 5,3 on the Pokeys respectively and I'm not doing anything to drive them via Ethernet it's just the config interface at this point. I have some experience programming these drives but none with Pokeyes and boy am I stuck in the mud. I thought it would be a simple thing and am sure it is but I'm not getting the message somehow. These obviously also take a reference but it's auto-sensing and the Pokeys looks to be wanting a sink/gnd so I have a connection to Pin 8 on the motor drive as my reference. Like I said before I get this little clik sound but no motion.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:41:56 PM by jmm2020 »
Re: Mach4, Pokeys and Lexium
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:16:11 PM »
Make sure that you do not have the step and the direction signal swapped with each other.

If they are, then a single direction change could sound like the single click you are hearing.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »
Steve,
Excellent observation but one I have experimented with and in fact I misstated in my post...the pin orientation on the the Lexium side is pin 3 Step and Pin 4 Direction....according to doc I then go pin 3 Direction and Pin 5 Step on the Pokeys...it's in both the diagram and on the board itself..I have the Lexiums IS=3,13,0 and IS=4,13,0 with FL=1...translated to Pin out 2A (Output) as Step pin A3, Dir pin A4 and Follow enabled.
Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »
I reinstalled mach4 and then left all the settings alone and reversed the wires and I do now actually have some motion though they sound horrible..worse than what I saw in a This Old Tony video recently posted with a Lexium drive he is using....the X+ and X- jog also results in the drive going in the same direction
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »
Hi,
what model Lexium driver are you using?

I thought the Ethernet port is in fact a RS485 com port and its use is covered by the CANOpen protocol.

Do you have an Ethernet connection for each Lexium drive? CANOpen (and EtherCat, ProfiBus and others) has one Ethernet cable daisy
chained to all the drivers one after another.

Given that you have a 57CNC controller with separate pins for step and direction for each axis why are you trying to squeeze them down an
Ethernet cable?. Whats wrong with hooking each controller output pin to the input pins within the CN1 connector of the drive?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 09:52:05 PM »
Craig...thanks for chiming in...I am using LMDCE57's which are in fact a closed loop NEMA 23 smart stepper...1.8x200 and use an Ethernet IP, Ethernet Modbus or Ethernet Mcode programming interface. With that being said you can imagine some of the amazing things you can do with one of these but I'm not trying to put the cart in front of the horse quite yet.
Through the TCP interface I configured the physical IO interface as a Step and Direction setup. I can go in via the TCP software and tell the input pins what type of signal/clock to expect and how to react. I have several of these doing other things through a PLC in my Biofuels plant so I can actually program them and even know some of the folks down in CT where they are headquartered within the Schneider product family.
Now circling back all I  have done is set the drives to expect a Step and Direction signal on pins 3 and 4 of their physical input/output bus and then I disconnect them from the Ethernet interface altogether...I have some CAN units as well and they actually do have a basic 9 pin com cable and RS485 signal interface but again thats not where I really wanted to go with any of this...I have a bus and thought it would be very cool as I travel here and there to have a little CNC machine with me to play with...simple right...lol...I saw a video on YouTube of This Old Tony using them and said.."Hey I have a dozen of those why not?"..well here we go with another precipitous learning curve exercise...it never ends...lol
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »
I see voltage changes on my outputs of 0v-.6v on step and 0 or 4.8V on direction...anyone else confirm this for me...I still have nothing but blank stares from these things.