Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:25:12 AM

Author Topic: G-Code and Mach3  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Gordo

•  17 17
    • View Profile
G-Code and Mach3
« on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
Hi I need some advice. When using V carve desktop I input the material dimensions, design the drawing and run the tool paths save the g code and take the code to the machine, set the zero position and run the program. The problem is that the drawing is not in the right position on the material when it cuts. I hope someone will understand what I an trying to say and be able to help. Thanks

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
Re: G-Code and Mach3
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:18:35 AM »
Where did you place the origin in VCarve?
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.

Offline Gordo

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »
I placed the origin in the bottom left nhand corner of the material.

Offline Gordo

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »
See attached files

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »
Did you home your machine? Did you zero X and Y to your work coordinates?
In Mach3 it looks OK. But if you did not home your machine and zero X and Y to your work coordinates, how coudd Mach know where is your stock located.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »
I assume that your work material left bottom edge is located at X & Y =0 in the attached pic.Line N220 defines the origin for your Gcode at  X & Y =0 and line N230 is the first move for the X & Y axes in the program code.

Now understand the following, and if you don't, do some study on how to set up for a job.
Mach3, the controlling software, needs to know where the actual / physical  Machine Zero is. On start up Mach3 keeps track of where the axis is using machine coordinates at all times. When you reference the machine,  the user is defining to Mach3 where physical x & y zero is.If you reference the machine and are not at X & Y zero, then you need to define to Mach3 where the material  / part is. A work offset is some distance from Machine Coordinate 0,0. Now understand that Mach defaults to  G54 offset on start up. Also undestand that G54 work offset, machine coordinate 0,0  and Work coordinates can all be at 0,0 if so desired.

Confused .....?  Go study.

RICH
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:17:51 AM by RICH »
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
If you just set your Origin in VCarve to be the Center of the work it solves a lot of problems.  On your work piece on the table just measure out the Center where you want the code to begin, move your spindle over to that point Zero X & Y,  make sure your Z is correct Zero and hit START.  Try it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:54:54 PM by wmgeorge »
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.