Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:00:55 AM

Author Topic: USB output board instead of printer board  (Read 20163 times)

Re: USB output board instead of printer board
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
Well... I can tell you that I have run a file from my laptop, talking over skype AND changing screens all at the same time with NO trouble... It is working as well as the printer port and may have a few goodies if they can fit them in... Beta testing is about to start on the device and will be out as soon as it passes all the testing. The Firmware is also downloaded from the plugin when it connects so the trouble of updating the FPGA code is GONE! I must say that this is the best device that I have ever used but only time and beta testing will tell us how it will truly work.

That is about all I can tell you for now :)

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »
Is it going to be suitable for a lathe,  ie threading? ;)
Hood
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
They hope to have threading when it is released for bata testing ;)

www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
sounds good but  looks like it may be too late for my lathe, I am hoping to make time for that in 2 or 3 weeks time.

Hood
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 12:48:14 PM »
you need to have an X axis first  ;D

This will plug right in to everything that you are doing... You will need to add an encoder to the spindle but other then that you should be all set!

Later
Brian

www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
Working on that, hopefully a deal will be struck at the right price in the next day or so, if not then I will just have to use one of the analogue drives I have sitting here ;)  And I have a few 2000 line encoders with Index pulses which will be a breeze to fit to the spindle offtake.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
Brian, I'm very glad that you have noticed this thread !

What I'm intending to build it is pretty much the same : one microcontroller board which is sending data on a timer - this means a very good and stable output transfer rate.
The microcontroller also will contain a buffer for data in order to solve the problem of inconstant data transfer rate of usb (unfortunately this small time shifting will have also some dissadvantages).
Also on microcontroller will be an bootloader so the firmware will be downloaded when is connected to computer.

Please tell me if your board is doing something more than that.

Will you help me with the driver for Mach3 ?

Regards,
Daniel
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 09:48:09 PM »
Daniel,
Man is it ever hard to see all the threads here! I end up having to speed read the threads looking for things that could be bad problems and I do miss them from time to time :(
So you are thinking about making a device that is USB and a motion controller...  If you are thinking about doing this as a product I would be willing to talk to you over the phone as it is just to much to type :( We would have a thread that would go about as long as Hood thread about the lathe he may finish some day! (Good thing I like Hood ;) ) This is no small task and we would expect you to write the Lib files so we can hook into the device with your Lib... If you are willing to do that I am willing to do the Mach3 code for you (You don't want to go there on your own! )

So send me a PM and we will talk it over!

Later
Brian

www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »
Well if this guy would hurry and release this USB board I think he would sell that many he would become almost as rich as you Brian ;)
 As I would be able to buy one it would then give me the incentive to finally take time to finish my lathe and my thread would grow no longer.
Sounds like that would be the best solution for everyone :)
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »
 ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!