Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:06:44 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 motor tuning, homing and limits and machine units - Help please.  (Read 1998 times)

Hello all,

I have a question about setting up Mach3.  I would like to use inches for units.  I have checked the native units in software and its set to inches.  The attached image shows the manufacturer suggested figures for the motor tuning.  As you can see the Steps per is set to about 84, this appears to be in inches (which seems strange).  The Velocity is set to 7998 and the Acceleration is set to 1000.  The graph above shows a scale on  Velocity inches per Minute at 7998.  7998 inches per minute seems ridiculous, but the motors move just fine.

I tried reinstalling and setting up the homing and limits in inches (50 x 98 inches) it's a 4x8 table. After that the axis moves 50mm and says I have hit my limits.  Also set motor tuning to all inches such as 84 steps, 315 velocity and 39 acceleration.  The graph did not change scale on the left and the motors did not sound or move well at all.

Also, the manufacturer suggested settings on the Z axis is Steps per 320, Velocity 1999.8, Acceleration 500 for motor tuning.

Also, the DRO's always seem to be in metric no matter what I change.  The Settings tab shows units to be inches.  I always "Save Axis Settings" and save config under config menu.

Thank you very much in advance.
New to forum and CNC.
Cary.
Re: Mach3 motor tuning, homing and limits and machine units - Help please.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
I am Not that knowledgeable on Mach3 so someone else needs to step in. But I know that if it shows mm's thats what your in. Need to change to inches.  The numbers and I assume this is more than likely this is a Chinese machine because what he giving you is mm settings.   Did the Mach3 come from this site or was it provided with the machine?  License?
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
Thank you for the post. Yes, the machine is from China.  On the motor tune dialog box it's showing Velocity in inches per minute.  Also shows that in settings and when I click on native units in configuration menu. I am using the Mach3 demo until I figure this out.

Thanks again, Cary
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
How big is the machine?   Is this  a Demo version of Mach3 from China?  I hope you do not purchase a license from them its more than likely pirated.  Your velocity should be normally anywhere from maybe 80 - 800 Ipm. My guess your way off on every thing.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:08:38 AM »
if you go to the settins page , right lower Corner, does it Show mm's or Inch ?
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 01:11:36 AM »
Why I need to put the pulses at 160,000 so that the dor is accurate??
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
Hi CM8854,

have you tried this, go to the settings (alt6) window in mach 3 and just above the reset button there is another smaller one called "set steps per unit", click on that then select one of you axis and type in a small number to start like half an inch or even less, as soon as you say ok it will move that axis the amount you typed in, once it's finished it will ask you to type in how much it actually moved, so you need to measure before and after. enter the amount it moved and the rest will be done by Mach 3.

I think if i read your question correctly your machine thinks it has moved the amount you told it to but the steps per revolution are not yet set.

if that's the case then you should do the same to all the axis's on your machine. start with a small movement and progressively increase to as much as each axis can move, and do each one at least 3 or 4 times till you know that it is moving exactly the right amount.