Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:02:02 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Hobby questions  (Read 2361 times)

Mach 4 Hobby questions
« on: September 09, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
I'm about to buy a CNC Machine whose controller combo is Mach 3 Combo.  The machine itself is a Bulk-Man 3D (Workbee CNC) 1500 mm x 1500 mm 1515-S-Mach3-2.2kw.  I'm seriously considering buying Mach 4 Hobby version for this but I want to make sure the machine will be able to use it.  Can anyone offer me any advice or tips?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach 4 Hobby questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »
Those look like rip off copies of the open build machines.
Most likely they come with pirated versions of Mach3, and hardware that won't work with Mach4.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
Hi,
you would need a Mach4 capable motion controller like a SmoothStepper, a UC300 or
a PoKeys 57CNC.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
Hi,
mechanically most Chinese made stuff is pretty fair, its their electronics, pirate software and after sales that lets them down.

If you considered the price for what is being offered and then asked yourself 'if I had to throw away the
electronics and substitute something better' would the price still seem good?

In most cases the price is still pretty good. A lot of people buy on that basis but are reluctant to throw the junky
stuff away and then turn up here trying to get it to work. A few hours reading on this forum and you'll have
dozens of similar stories.

If you want to go the Mach4 route, and I reccommend you do, its light years ahead of Mach3, then allow $600
to $1000 for the software ($200), a controller ($150-$250), three drives ($75-$150 each) and maybe a power supply.
With any sort of luck you'll be able to use the spindle and spindle controller as supplied.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »
Those look like rip off copies of the open build machines.

I totally agree, Its actually a WorkBee that was originally designed by Ryan at ooznest, the barebones system costs £1200 thats about $1500 so for the price that Bulk-Man is charging what conrners have been cut??

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
Hello...I went with the hobby version of Mach 4. Mach3 worked OK for me, however when Windows 10 made Mach3 quit working, I concluded it was the ideal opportunity for a change. What's more, truly, I downloaded the fix and got Mach3 working once more, however I didn't care for the way that Mach3 was not, at this point upheld. There was more to it, however. Not long after I downloaded the fix, my machine fired misbehaving. My Z hub began cutting further than my G-code called for. I thought it was a Mach3 thing. That steered the results for me. Ends up it wasn't a product issue.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »
DebbySherr
its exactly what Craig talk about
the chines hardware have there own life,(not always listen yours order)
so if you want more stable life must replace break out board and mach to normal
Sherman: i suggest you one more advice ,use servo not stepper ,the price difference not so big but then you got total other product