Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:52:38 AM

Author Topic: Driver Cards  (Read 4121 times)

Driver Cards
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:52:52 AM »
A bit late to ask, but since I've already purchased it. I need to know what is a L/R Driver Card and what are it's shortcomings. Also what type of power supply would one use with such a card. I've studied the power supply construction manuals on Bob Campbell's website and even went as far as purchasing a hard copy from HubbardCNC.com. The problem I'm having now is that I find that they are all designed to work with a chopper style card. Also the card in question uses Unipolar Steppers.

Hood

Re: Driver Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 02:46:49 PM »
can you provide a link to this L/R card so I can have a look?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:22:52 AM »
The link to this card is WWW.DTLLC.COM, the card that I purchased already is the 4XCNC15B model.
Thank you for your assistance.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »
The biggest shortcoming I can see is that it is constant voltage only. Meaning you will loose tourqe at higher speeds quickly.
No microsteping means that you will get a very "steppy" motion that is not as smooth as with microstepping.
What motors do you have?
I'm no expert tho.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:28:05 AM »
I ordered the card setup for half steps and the motors I ordered are from Keling Tech. The part number is listed as KL34294-43-8B.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »
When I was starting out with this cnc stuff I bought a 4 axis card from DTLLC.COM also.  But quickly realized that it will not work well for a cnc application as it doesn't have micro stepping and current chopping.  The drives from Keling are the way to go.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 04:43:36 AM »
Is there anything that these cards are best suited too? Like, would they be of any use on lets say a Harbor Freight bench top lathe where microstepping would be of little use? For what I paid for it, including shipping. I'd like to find some value for my hard won dollar.