Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:10:05 AM

Author Topic: G540 Won't Go  (Read 1419 times)

G540 Won't Go
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
I have a Gecko G540 that is a few years old but has never been used. I'm working on getting a little lathe put together.
It passed all it's preliminary testing in that it powers up and gives me a green light with the charge pump off.
I checked the parallel cable to make sure it had continuity and was straight through.  I also set the parallel port to EPP .
I set up Mach3 the way I thought it should be but I can't get a green light with the parallel cable connected to the computer.
The computer it's being attached to has never been proven so I attached it to the computer on my little mill.
Same thing.  It just sits there taunting me with its red light.
Seems to me that either the G540 has a problem or I'm missing some essential setting.  More than likely, it's the latter.

Suggestions on what I'm missing?
Re: G540 Won't Go
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Quick update.
On the 'known good' computer, I disabled the charge pump and get movement.  I still can't get the computer to put the g540 in the green with the charge pump on.
On the unknown computer, I get neither charge pump or movement.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:45:56 AM »
Hi,
I always get myself into trouble with people telling me I shouldn't do this......I've never had 'charge pump' enabled with Mach3 and parallel ports
or more recently with an ESS and Mach4.

I am aware why it was proposed and what it was designed to do and the potential dangers that might occur if you don't use a charge pump but I have always designed
my machine so that nothing bad would happen when unpowered or powering up in absence of established good control by Mach. I've operated that way for five
years and counting without fault.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »
Hi Craig,

To tell the truth, I'm rather ambivalent about the charge pump myself.

What really bothers me is that it doesn't work. It makes me wonder if there might be other things that may not work as I go forward.
Right now, the only things connected are the steppers and the parallel cable.  Movement is very smooth and I haven't done any tuning yet.

I think my Mach setup is right so that leaves something wrong with the G540 or the cable.
I have checked the cable for continuity.  Wish I had a spare.

I'm thinking at this point I may just send it in to Gecko and have them do a quick check on it.

Thanks,
Walt