Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:37:13 PM

Author Topic: Mill works great, Lathe bombs  (Read 1999 times)

Mill works great, Lathe bombs
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
My machine is a Shopmaster combination Lathe/Mill.  Had to change out the computer a few days ago and upgraded from Windows XP to a computer with Windows 10.  You guys helped me get the proper driver for my UC100 adapter which allowed the Mill portion of Mach3 to work well.  However, the 'Turn' (Lathe) portion bombs during the loading process.  From previous posts, I learned to use the edition of Mach3 which corrects of Windows 10 problems (ends in '62').  I can try deleting all my work, reloading Mach3, and see if this helps but it sure would be nice if there is a simpler solution.  I've tried shutting down the computer and rebooting a number times.  When the program bombs, a light blue Windows screen comes up and which tells me it is rebooting Windows.  Thanks for the help so far.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mill works great, Lathe bombs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
It's possible that the patched version of Mach3 does not work with Mach3Turn. I don't know.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »
Ran Windows 10 compatibility test for the lathe program.  Test bombed after telling me there was a problem with using the UC100 driver.  Driver works with the Mill portion of the program.  Figure I'll have to go back to a earlier version of Mach3.  I've got versions ...22 and ...39 on disc.  Any suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
Hi,
i'm not sure but I think you'll find that earlier versions of Mach3 won't run on the latest updated Windows 10.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,37291.0.html

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
Thanks Craig, I was getting tired on continually fixing my Config file with each load on a Mach3 version.  This is a 32 bit machine running Windows 10.  I really need the lathe portion of the program to work.  Would simply purchasing Mach4 solve my problem?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »
Hi,
probably. You said that the error message related to the UC100 plugin.

As you will have gathered from the Win 10 Update thread recent updates have rendered some of Mach3's dll's
inoperative, hence the patch .062.

From what you have described its the UC100 plugin not Mach at all.

May I suggest downloading Mach4 and the UC100 Mach4 plugin and try it. Mach4 Demo works exactly like the
real thing for 5-6 minutes at a time. Enough for you to get a feel for whether it works or not.

Unless NFS are prepared to restart development on Mach3 eventually Mach3 will fail with the Windows OS d'jour.
To date NFS has made no such commitment, the .062 patch was provided gratis by another company whom
must also have Mach source code.

Craig

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »
Be aware that the UC100 plugin for Mach4 does not support as many features as the Mach3 plugin, and it may never.

Before paying for Mach4, try to make sure that the motion controller you'll be using supports the features that you need.  Especially when talking about lathe use.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
Hi,
good point Gerry, I know that the UC100 (or the UC300) do not support lathe threading in Mach4.

To my knowledge the PMDX-424 and Vital Systems Hicon do support lathe threading in Mach4, not
sure about PoKeys 57CNC. The SmoothStepper does not but it is being worked on.

Craig

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 02:57:16 AM »
what about downgrade to a Win7?
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
If you downgrade to Win 7, you can format the pc such that you have a dual boot system.
ie; when booting up you have a choice of Win 7 or an earlier version of Win like XP.

Many may comment that the above  "is old school / dated". Well, when you waite for over 10 years
for development by folks for the lathe you could be dead by the time what you want is available.

Just a thought, :D
RICH