Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:11:57 AM

Author Topic: Trouble getting Mach3 to run in Windows 10  (Read 1902 times)

Trouble getting Mach3 to run in Windows 10
« on: August 25, 2018, 08:33:56 PM »
I'm new to the Forum and greatly appreciate any help.  Have been running Mach3 on a Windows XP machine for about 11 years.  XP Machine gave up the ghost so am trying to operate Mach3 program using a two year old computer operating with Windows 10 (32 bit processor).  I installed a manufacturer's UC100 adaptor which was specifically made for CNC use and which allowed the parallel socket to be adapted to a USB port on the new machine.  Read recent posts on this and downloaded the recommended version of Mach3 (one for Windows 10, ends in '62'.  Left all the old Mach3 files in place but deleted the shortcuts on the Desktop.  No problem with download.  Desktop now shows two shortcuts for mill.  Either one bombs machine as does the shortcut for lathe.  Program which comes up initially states its for Windows 2000 or XP.  When Mach3 main sheet appears, dialog box appears which says its found more than one control devices.  Listed are: Normal printer port operation, Deskpod-NcPod..., and No Device.  Picking any one bombs machine (resets Windows).  Picking Deskpod-NcPod.. first says there's an error then bombs machine.  The Mach3 file did include a Driver Test which didn't seem to work although I think the driver is 'Machsys' which is there.  Older editions of Mach3 don't have this problem but, although they don't bomb, neither can they get the CNC drives to work.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Trouble getting Mach3 to run in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »
Do you have a "real" UC100, or a chinese knockoff?
The plugin for the UC100 should be named UC100...
I'd delete all files from your Mach3\plugins folder, and download and install the correct UC100 plugin from here:
http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100%20files%20for%20manual%20installation/Plugin/download_UC100_plugin.php

You may also need the UC100 USB drivers from here:
http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100%20files%20for%20manual%20installation/UC100_USB%20drivers.zip

If those files don't help, then uninstall and reinstall Mach3.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
That did it!  After two days hunching over a computer, it sure is nice to see the all axis working.  I typed in all the old data Config from the XP machine into the Config files (made a paper copy some years ago).  However, now the actual movement on any axis (X,Y,Z) is only about 1/16 the recorded movement (Ex:  Y axis moves 1" where readout shows about 16 inches +/-.  Not sure where I'm going wrong.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
Simpy shutting down the program and re-starting it solved the problem.  CNC mill works nicely now although I've a little more work on setting the backlash correctly.  Something strange though:  Both the lathe and mill programs have two shortcut keys each.  For the mill, the shortcut key labeled 'MILL' (I think I named this when downloading the program) works fine now.  The one labeled Mach3Mill bombs the machine.  Both lathe shortcut keys ('LATHE' and MachTurn) also bomb the machine (hitting the key causes the computer to reset).  I simply deleted the 'MachMill' shortcut key but I need to find out why neither lathe shortcut works.  Thanks again for the help; I'm really stoked the mill works!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
Hi,
that's good news, there have been many people who've bought cheap UC100's but are in fact Chinese copies of the real thing. You may have noted
on the CNCDrive website there is a warning about it and a link to a thread on the CNCDrive forum about it. Because the UC100 is not a registered
trade mark or other defencible intellectual property CNCDrive would struggle to make a case against the rip-offs and the Chinese courts tend to thumb
their nose at Western law suits anyway.

As far as the difference in distance moved....sounds like your motor tuning has not allowed for microstepping.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'