Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:41:55 AM

Author Topic: Offset not working right, V2.02  (Read 11273 times)

Offset not working right, V2.02
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »
Attached is a dxf file that Lazycam seems to be having trouble with.  Specifically when I highlight the outside chain and then try to create an outside offset, no offset is created.
Also, when I try to make an inside offset for the two holes at the bottom, it makes an outside offset.  If I make an inside offset, it makes an outside offset.

I have the 7/12/07 version
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:43:39 PM by split63 »
Re: Offset not working right, V2.02
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:53:26 PM »
First I'm no expert as I've only been using LazyCam for a few days and am also having offset problems so I thought there might be an answer here. There isn't one (yet) BUT if you delete all the holes and then generate the GCODE it applies an offset (G41). I think that you need to create a new layer with the outline and then code that, then mark all the holes as drilled holes but I don't have time to try that tonight.
My problem is coding the collet spanner that Art uses as an example. I can get it to clean up nicely after setting the line tolerance but when I run the code it machines both the hole AND the outline as inside chains. The code uses G41 for both the hole and the outline, I think it should be G42 for the outline but as I said at the start I'm no expert.
If any of the experts are reading this can they also tell me how to turn off the blue background to the screen to make it black? Viewing the videos that Art posted I find the interface with the black background and buttons down the left MUCH easier to use, perhaps due to the fact that I'm slightly Blue/Green colour blind as are bout 5% of the male population I believe. The Black background eliminates the Blue /Green problem as I'm not trying to see Green on Blue which to my eyes is very indistinct. Thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:32:23 PM »
F.....if you delete all the holes and then generate the GCODE it applies an offset (G41). I think that you need to create a new layer with the outline and then code that

I deleted all the holes so that I only have the part outline.  I tried the offset, but still it generates nothing.
It prints out the message:
   0 Chains, 0 entites created.
  Toolpath complete.
  Offsetting Complete.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »
Hi, Split63

Give this a try, I Exploded it many times then Grouped it, Seems to offset now.

The In-Out's are backwards most of the time for me, also using .000001 for Setup, Connect line tol. hear.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:37:22 PM by afn09556 »
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »
What do you mean when you say you "exploded" it and then "grouped" it?   I dont see these functions in LazyCam.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »
Hi, Split63

It's a command in your Cad Program, also called un-group, group, It turns line segments into one line/chain or object.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:45 PM »

I tired that in my CAD program yesterday, but it seemed to have no affect

Now that I have this problem patched, I have another.  When I try to convert some of the holes to drills, via the "drill circles" command, nothing happens.   Perhaps its the way I'm using it.  I have tried as many approaches as I can.

Any ideas?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »
Hi, Split63

Sent you a Per. Msg., "User Info" top of this screen.

Thanks, Chip

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 10:43:51 AM »
Hi, Inchbeag

Post the DXF your using.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »
Hi Chip,
It's the collet spanner that Art uses as a demo. It's on the install with LazyCam but I've attached the copy I downloaded in case of corruption.

Thanks for the help for a newbie
Alistair