Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:22:09 AM

Author Topic: AMD 64X2 3200 DUAL CORE  (Read 10950 times)

Offline RMD

•  13 13
    • View Profile
AMD 64X2 3200 DUAL CORE
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »
HI

JUST PURCHACED A DELL OPTIPLEX 740 DESKTOP TO BE A DEDICATED COMPUTER  FOR A SYIL X-3 MILL. THE SYSTEM WAS PURCHASED WITH WINDOWS XP HOME, AMD 64X2 3200 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR, 2 GIG MEMORY AND NVIDA 256 VIDEO CARD.  ALL PROGRAMS EXCEPT WINDOWS XP WERE DELETED AT THE FACTORY.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM, ALL THREE AXIS HAVE A GLITCH OR THUMP AT RANDOM CO-ORDINATES. I HAVE OPTIMIZED WINDOWS , NO HELP, FACTORY HAS PUT IN 3 MOTHERBOARDS, REPLACED TWO PROCESSORS, AND NOW THEY HAVE SENT ME A NEW SYSTEM WHICH RUNS THE SAME.

I HAVE A HP WITH A PENTIUM 4  3.06GHz, 1 MB L2 CASH, 533 MHz FRONT SIDE BUS, AND 512 DDR SDRAM MEMORY WHICH IS LOADED WITH PROGRAMS, 85 PERCENT,  WHICH RUNS THE MILL PERFECTLY, NO GLITCHES OR THUMPS.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS ON HOW TO CURE THE PROBLEM, OR DO I CHAULK IT UP TO EXPERIENCE AND BUY A NEW COMPUTOR WITH AN INTEL PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR.  THE SYSTEM IS ONLY 45 DAYS OLD AND SINCE IT IS PAST 21 DAYS SINCE I PURCHASED IT DELL WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK OR SWAP IT FOR ONE WITH A PENTIUM PROCESSOR.

RMD
TREASURE ISLAND, FLORIDA

RMD
Re: AMD 64X2 3200 DUAL CORE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »
You don't need to shout.

Also Nvidia 256 sounds like onboard graphics. Try using a separate gfx card. Even the simplest one will do for testing.
make sure you disable the onboard after you load the real one in.

Your processor should not be the problem unless you have crappy drivers and even then it should be no problem.

Offline RMD

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:12:24 PM »
David

I didn't mean to shout but my eyes are kind of bad.  The Nivida is not an onboard gfx card and the grafix on the motherboard has been disabled. Dell has sent me a whole bunch of different drivers for the processor. I am going to amd to see if they have any different drivers.

RMD

RMD
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
have you tried to run msconfig and remove everything from the list? you will find very few times where something has to be in msconfig to run on your pc. In most cases it is put there to make it respond faster. even most antivirus that is loaded not has something in the startup but if you look it is also installed as a service, I was told from Symantec this is so the console will load faster PERIOD. so go remove everything from the startup and add back things that you need one at a time. re-enable one then try to run the machine and see if it still has hickups. also do you have a automatic defragmenter running? also you can turn off realtime protection, unless you will be surfing with this pc.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:17:52 AM »
No problem.

I use spybot sd to remove startup things. Easier I think.

Never heard of NVIDA 256. Have you got the latest drivers from Nvidia?
I remember that someone had problems with their AMD cpu and the only thing that helped was getting the proper drivers from AMD and not what was supplied.
How does the driver test graph of mach look?

What motherboard do you have?
Latest drivers and BIOS for that?
Latest chipset drivers? (what chipset do you have?)
Latest soundcard drivers?

Have you tried the alternative driver for mach?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »
I don't think it could possibly be an inherent problem with AMD, the problem could still exist with Intel.  I'd chalk it up to Dell's cheapo motherboards if anything.  (I am not much of a Dell fan especially with all the junk they install with windows).

I am curious if a USB to Parallel adapter or a PCI Super I/O card might work?  The parallel port on the motherboard itself might have a bit of a design flaw but to bipass it all together using a different parallel port *might* get you going again.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:01:17 AM by roadworm »
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
I would advice against USB to 'anything'
The guys that program and test industrial ABB robots went through with testing USB to COM to use with laptops etc. They found out that they where just not reliable enough. And when you work with robots that can pick up a car you have very low tolerance of error.

A proper PCI card might be desired anyway. Concidering that it's a lot cheaper to blow one of those than a motherboard.
Besides I would expect a PCI card to have a lot better amplifiers for the putputs creating a much nicer waveform. Onboard is probebly of lower quality as the printer has error handling to compensate for bad signal.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
Hello, I have had a few similar issues and the main cure was to get off of the boards parallel port using the "SIIG cyberParallel pci i/o card" part no: jj-p00112-s5 . I also disabled the board p-port and installed two of these as prt 1 & 2. they appear to have a better signal voltage which helps for stability. also i'd look into a higher wattage power supply as this is the one item that gets scrimpted on that we so dearly need ! As for the rest of it your probably allright, and at least do some of the XP optomizing, as its a bonus to get rid of any TSR's that are not needed to drive your system. I think that your proc is the same one on my IH mill sytem puter, its is great !
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:57:59 PM »
Ya, the power supply is always a good one to upgrade.  Dell of course advertises the strengths not weaknesses of their systems and 95% of their customers do not even know what a power supply or motherboard is so they use the cheapest one they can get there.

It used to really bug me a couple years ago how the major companies were selling like 3ghz processors but only 256mb of ram.  Back then people just thought they needed a fast processor but now that consumers have started to wisen up the RAM is up a little closer where it needs to be, at least as far as amount of ram. They're probably still using the slowest stuff they can find. Well there's my rant for the day ;)   (I build my own machines, so I know exactly what goes in them.)

Offline RMD

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »
Hi Guys

Lets go down the list:

Dell can not give me anymore support, they don't know what the problems are.

I made a mistake on the video card, it is a dedicated ( mother board disabled ) 256mb ATI Radeon x3100 pro

AMD support told me to down load Athalon 64x2 Windows Optimizer that didn't work. It is a program that gamers use that lets them use programs that are a little older or have lockups on new programs. Support thought the Mach 3 program might fall in this category. AMD says I have the newest drivers, we did a test of the drivers. We also disabled the cool and quiet mode.

There is a program AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions.

I do not know if the above upgrade will help but at the end of the rope I might try it.

I do have a PCI parallel board that is new since I went that direction on the original CPU. I will try it and disable the motherboard parallel port.

I have disabled everything in the start menu except the basics.

I am going out and get a new parallel cable, I am a boat mechanic and setup electronics, since I have seen cables with to high of resistance cause problems in Marine Electronics which are as tempermental.

If all else fails I am going to atempt to swap hard drives, since I know the HP with the Pentium 4 works the machine, the Dell hard drive into the HP and visa versa. I can't just reload the data and programs from one to the other since my main problem is AutoCad 2000, 2004 and 2007 can't be copied since they just appearded miraculously on my desk top one day, get the drift. I have Ghosted both hard drives in case of a disaster.

I just shot an Email to Dell, cc: to every suport person that has worked on this problem, suggesting a simple fix, exchange the system with a Pentium system and I will pay the upgrade and even a restocking fee.

If they agree I would like to pick everbodies brain on which Pentium processor will work, no dual core,  how much memory and what video board.

If all else fails I am going to File 13 the cpu and have one built.

RMD

RMD