Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:30:51 PM

Author Topic: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
Re: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 01:15:01 AM »

[/quote]

And that is exactly why I am really starting to hate this DIY hacker crap.  Went through all the this same crap with the pokeys57cnc which was a total wast of time and money. 
[/quote]

Maybe you are blaming the wrong things

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »
Hi,
I think OP is inclined to either not read the manual of a prospective hardware solution or skim over important aspects of its design.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »
I would love to be able to buy an "off the shelf" working machine but that not an option since there aren't any other machines like this out there.   This is a proof of concept prototype for a new type of high speed industrial 3D printer.  In fact this machine will probably be actually running for less time than I have already spent tying to get these control boards to do what I need them to do, which is what is so frustrating.  If this was something which was going to be running for a long time or which was the end product then this wouldn't be that bad, but right now it is nothing more than a kluge of DIY parts standing in my way of getting to the next step.  

As far is using one output for all the enables I also had that thought, but I will have to probably use a SSR to switch a more powerfully 5v supply than the board can do on one output since I have 10 motors which need to get the signal and each has about 25' of wire to cover.  I was hoping to avoid all that by just using the boards outputs directly.  But at this point I would be happy if just a single output actually worked.  I disabled all outputs except for one Enable signal and still nothing.  Started off trying port 1 pin 3 "X Enable" with only it enabled as an output in the ESS plugging and then did the same it Mach4.  If set to active High then it's always off, as in no output and the indicator LED is always off.  Hitting Enable in Mach4 control screen does nothing.  If it is instead set to active Low then it is always on, as in the LED is on and it's sending 5v out.  Again completely independent to anything done on the Mach4 control screen.   The only thing done with Mach4 it seems to respond to is closing the program, which will disable the output, but as soon as I open Mach4 again the output is back on.  Tried the same thing for a couple of other outputs, ones the C25 actually supports, and got the same on all.   Also port 2 pin 9 is always on with 2.43v output for some crazy reason.  
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi,

Also port 2 pin 9 is always on with 2.43v output for some crazy reason.  
That sounds like an actual fault. Can you test the output of the ESS and then the output of
the C25?

I will give some more thought to those other issues. You recall my previous post which tells that the
dedicated C25 outputs are directly hooked to the ESS output pins. It will be necessary to look at ESS output
circuit diagram to establish what its state will be when Mach is idle or disabled.

I have already spent tying to get these control boards to do what I need them to do, which is what is so frustrating.

By designing and building your own machine YOU have assumed responsibility as machine integrator.
As such reading and understanding the manuals IS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY. Make a decision whether
you have the aptitude and attitude to continue.

Craig

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 08:59:44 PM »
Hi,
yes using a SSR or even a MOSFET would be sufficient to enable all ten motors.

I suspect you have two issues causing you grief with respect to getting output signals
to work. If you are expecting the outputs M1, M2, M3 etc to operate I suspect you may be
getting confused. Mach handles those its own way, I'm at work at the moment and so cannot
get to my machine and refresh my memory as to how and when those signals operate. If memory
serves however they behave in a manner which you or I might not call logical, and I can't remember
just how.

My recommendation is to use one of the general purpose outputs OSIG_OUTPUT1 through ISIG_OUTPUT64
instead. Tonight I will post a little code that will help you set it up for test purposes.
This will allow you to test and get familiar with the ESS, its plugin and your C25 BoB.
Once you become familiar with that then using M1, M2 etc will become alot easier.

Craig
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 03:48:12 AM »
Hi,
to have a motor enable output first the motor must be enabled in the Control (also called Mach in earlier builds).
You see in the attached pic that I have enabled three motors; motor0, motor1, and motor2 by checking the boxes associated
with each.

The next pic is where Mach is in disabled state and note M0, M1 and M2 LEDs are not light.

The last pic is with Mach enabled and not M0, m1 and M2 LEDs are light.

I conclude that Mach is correctly handling the motor enable outputs.

Can you repeat these steps? Does your Mach installation behave the same?

Craig
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 04:10:47 AM »
Hi,
put this code in a macro, m100, in the macros folder of your current profile:

Code: [Select]
function m100()
local inst=mc.mcGetInstance()
local hsig=mc.mcSignalGetHandle(inst,mc.OSIG_OUTPUT2)
local outstate=mc.mcSignalGetState(hsig)
if (outstate==1) then
mc.mcSignalSetState(hsig,0)
else
mc.mcSignalSetState(hsig,1)
end
end
if (mc.mcInEditor()==1)then
m100()
end

If you run this macro (m100 from the MDI panel) then Output#2 will change state each time you do so. You should see the Output#2 LED
of the machine diagnostics tab change as you do so.You can now attach that output to any output pin of your BoB you choose.
In this way you can test each output pin individually. Would pay to take attention of your potentially dodgy output port 2 pin 9.

Note that the ESS plugin automates certain activities between the ESS plugin and the Control (Mach) plugin. In particular note that if you
enable the Motor 0 Enable signal in the ESS Output Signals page with port 1 pin 1 say and THEN go and check the Control (Mach) plugin
Output Signals page that the Motor 0 Enable signal has automatically been updated BY the ESS plugin.

If now having checked that Motor Enable say is working and you now want to test another output you will have to clear the previous asigments
from BOTH the ESS AND the Control (Mach) plugin. That is to say that a setting made in the ESS plugin will propagate TO the Control plugin
but NOT  A DELETION.

Craig
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
So I finally have all the axis up and running.  But now I have run right into another problem.  I'm trying to get the motor error outputs from the servos into mach4 so it will stop the machine if there is a motor fault.  I have everything I need to do this ready to go, including the Signal Lib code for the general inputs I hooked them all up to.  Problem is that mach4 stops reading the inputs after I hit enable.  When not enabled it reads the inputs just fine, as seen in the machine diagnostics page by manually connecting and disconnecting the input wire to simulate the error signal.  But once I enable the machine the input just stays at whatever state it was at right before enable, even as the LED light on the C25 is going on and off as I again manually trigger the input.    Suggestions on what I'm missing?
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »
Hi,
if you have used the SigLib{} table then Mach4 doesn't 'read' the inputs at all.

When a signal changes state, any signal, the signal script runs. The signal script looks in the SigLib table to see if there is an entry
for the signal in there, ie a match between the signal which has just changed and the entries corresponding to the signal we are interested in.

Can you please post the code that you put in SigLib?

Craig
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »
Hi,
if you have used the SigLib{} table then Mach4 doesn't 'read' the inputs at all.

When a signal changes state, any signal, the signal script runs. The signal script looks in the SigLib table to see if there is an entry
for the signal in there, ie a match between the signal which has just changed and the entries corresponding to the signal we are interested in.

Can you please post the code that you put in SigLib?

Craig

Haven't put it in yet.  Was just checking to make sure the inputs were actually working when I noticed this problem.