Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 02:51:51 AM

Author Topic: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything  (Read 10733 times)

Re: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
Hi,
I just read this in the C25 manual:

Outputs 1, 14, 16 and 17 (Port 1 and 2) and outputs 2-9 (port 1).
All those pins are directly wired to the C25 output terminals.

It would appear the output of the ESS is direct connected to the output screw terminal of the C25, no buffering.
I consider that less than ideal. The C10 has input AND output buffering and is preferred. I myself use MB2's from Homan Designs
in Austrailia, I live in New Zealand so its near enough to local for me. They are a bit more expensive than the C10 but I've been very
happy with them. They to offer bi-directional pins 2-9 and input and output buffering AND LEDs on ALL inputs and outputs so I can tell
at a glance whats happening. Those LEDs would be a real boon to you at the moment.

Craig

Well that's both stupid and annoying, if the ESS has bidirectional input outputs then why the hell doesn't the C25.  Especially if they claim "Full access to all the pins of the Smooth Stepper Board".   Now I get to waste time and money waiting around for either 2 C10s or one of what you recommended to show up.  Great.  

Thank you for your help and I'm sure sure I will have plenty more questions when whatever I now have to order shows up.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
Hi,
another feature of the C25 which I took no notice of is that the inputs 10,11,12,13 and 15 of each port have two inverter
buffers, ie the combination is not inverted.

The inputs port 2 pins 2-9 have only one inverter buffer so the inputs are inverted. Its something you need to keep in mind.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 05:09:58 PM »
Hi,
another feature of the C25 which I took no notice of is that the inputs 10,11,12,13 and 15 of each port have two inverter
buffers, ie the combination is not inverted.

The inputs port 2 pins 2-9 have only one inverter buffer so the inputs are inverted. Its something you need to keep in mind.

Craig

Well if it can't do the port 2 outputs then it doesn't really matter, it's going in the scrap box.
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:06 PM »
Hi,
whats wrong with the C25.....its got plenty of inputs AND outputs enough to drive your machine so whats the problem?

Why do you have to use port 2 as outputs?

Craig
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
Hi,

Especially if they claim "Full access to all the pins of the Smooth Stepper Board"
Your reading advertising not the manual.......that's a mistake when it comes to CNC.

Craig
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
Hi,
whats wrong with the C25.....its got plenty of inputs AND outputs enough to drive your machine so whats the problem?

Why do you have to use port 2 as outputs?

Craig

I need it to drive 6 axis, with three outputs per axis.  Enable, STEP, DIR.  That's a min of 18 outputs.  Also have PWM fans to control as well.  But it looks like it only has 16 outputs since I'm loosing 2-9 on port 2.  
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
Hi,

Especially if they claim "Full access to all the pins of the Smooth Stepper Board"
Your reading advertising not the manual.......that's a mistake when it comes to CNC.

Craig

And that is exactly why I am really starting to hate this DIY hacker crap.  Went through all the this same crap with the pokeys57cnc which was a total wast of time and money. 
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
Hi,
are all of the six axes independent or are some slaved to others?

Even if you require all 18 inputs then yes you will need another board but you will still need inputs. If you think you can get away
without decent limit and home switches with a 6 axis machine you'll struggle.

If you bought another C10 then:

Port 1       outputs 1,2-9,14,16,17 =12
                inputs 10,11,12,13,15  =5

Port 2       outputs 1,14,16,17   =4
                inputs 2-9,10,11,12,13,15   =13

Port 3        outputs 1,2-9,14,16,17   =12
                 inputs 10,11,12,13,15    =5

TOTAL        outputs =
                  inputs  =23

Is that enough?

If not you need to extend capabilities with a PLC.

And that is exactly why I am really starting to hate this DIY hacker crap
Then go buy a Seimens 840, $20,000 plus!

Craig

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:35:23 PM by joeaverage »
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Hi,
sorry cant add TOTAL outputs=28
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
Hi,
one other thought about how to get out of that bind is that you stated you have a six axis machine and required three outputs per axis;
step, direction and enable.

Is it strictly necessary to have an enable on every servo? It seems to me likely that if there is a fault of some description that you want to disable
one servo then its very likely that you'll want to disable more than one, maybe ALL of them so that the fault can be cleared without a crash.
If that's the case you could use one output as an enable and that one signal would enable all the servos. It would save five outputs.
You could therefore use the C25 as is.

Craig