Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:08:06 AM

Author Topic: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything  (Read 10588 times)

Re: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »
Hi,
are you using an input on the C25 or not?

It sounds like you are working directly on the ESS pins. If that's the case its not recommended. You really should install a BOB
so that you have buffer ICs between the ESS and your wiring.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »
Hi,
so if the input port3 pin 13 is to be held high switch must be closed. If you open the switch the input goes low.
That's what is intended is it not?

Craig

Right now I'd be happy if it did anything.  If set to active low Mach4 always shows the E-Stop not active, whether it is closed or not.  And if set to active high then it always shows it active, again whether it is closed or not.  Even tried using a straight jumper to connect and disconnect the pins, which has no effect whatsoever.  It's as if the input is not acting like an input at all and is just sending to Mach4 whatever it is set to be active at, regardless of the signal being physically sent to the pin. 
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 03:58:29 PM »
Hi,
is it port3 pin13 of the ESS? From your description you have blown that input.

You have all those buffered inputs on the C25, why not use one of them? That's what they're for.

Craig
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 04:03:56 PM »
Hi,
is it port3 pin13 of the ESS? From your description you have blown that input.

You have all those buffered inputs on the C25, why not use one of them? That's what they're for.

Craig
It's own 5v output killed that input?  Wow, that really doesn't bode well for this board's reliability.  I guess that will be next step, although seeing as none of the outputs on the C25 are working either I don't have much hope. 
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
Hi,
you still haven't answered the question....are you using the ESS pins direct?

If you are as I have said its not recommended, any slight bobble on your part can fry the FPGA.

More importantly the ESS has pull-up resistors not pull-down like the C25. I have attached a pic of the input circuit of the ESS.
If you are using the ESS input direct (contrary to advice) then the pin needs to be pulled low, ie 0V.

Craig
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 04:28:50 PM »
Hi,
you still haven't answered the question....are you using the ESS pins direct?

If you are as I have said its not recommended, any slight bobble on your part can fry the FPGA.

More importantly the ESS has pull-up resistors not pull-down like the C25. I have attached a pic of the input circuit of the ESS.
If you are using the ESS input direct (contrary to advice) then the pin needs to be pulled low, ie 0V.

Craig

Moved it to port1pin13 and that seems to have fixed that problem.  Thank you for helping with that part.   But none of the outputs are working, and for some reason port2pin9's light is one and it's showing an output of 2.45v constantly.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
Hi,
the C25 has port 1 pins 2-9 configured as outputs. This is the normal state of affairs, these are the step and direction outputs to your
drivers. Port 2 pins 2-9 are ALL INPUTS. This again is normal from the days of the parallel port.

A single parallel port was always chronically short of inputs for things like limit and home switches. Thus it is common to have the second
port configured with pins 2-9 as inputs. The C25 adopts this convention.

The C10 breakout board can for instance be configured with pins 2-9 as input OR outputs. If you really want to use the third port of your
ESS then I would recommend the C10, it has buffers to offer some protection to the much more expensive ESS and you can configure
the ESS/BoB with more inputs OR outputs as you require.

Back to the issue at hand.

May I suggest that you measure the output voltages of the C25 port   pins 2-9. You need then to set up some code in Mach4 to toggle those
outputs.

Craig
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
Hi,
the C25 has port 1 pins 2-9 configured as outputs. This is the normal state of affairs, these are the step and direction outputs to your
drivers. Port 2 pins 2-9 are ALL INPUTS. This again is normal from the days of the parallel port.

A single parallel port was always chronically short of inputs for things like limit and home switches. Thus it is common to have the second
port configured with pins 2-9 as inputs. The C25 adopts this convention.

The C10 breakout board can for instance be configured with pins 2-9 as input OR outputs. If you really want to use the third port of your
ESS then I would recommend the C10, it has buffers to offer some protection to the much more expensive ESS and you can configure
the ESS/BoB with more inputs OR outputs as you require.

Back to the issue at hand.

May I suggest that you measure the output voltages of the C25 port   pins 2-9. You need then to set up some code in Mach4 to toggle those
outputs.

Craig

Port 2 pins 2-9 can't be outputs on the C25?
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
Hi,
I just read this in the C25 manual:

Outputs 1, 14, 16 and 17 (Port 1 and 2) and outputs 2-9 (port 1).
All those pins are directly wired to the C25 output terminals.

It would appear the output of the ESS is direct connected to the output screw terminal of the C25, no buffering.
I consider that less than ideal. The C10 has input AND output buffering and is preferred. I myself use MB2's from Homan Designs
in Austrailia, I live in New Zealand so its near enough to local for me. They are a bit more expensive than the C10 but I've been very
happy with them. They to offer bi-directional pins 2-9 and input and output buffering AND LEDs on ALL inputs and outputs so I can tell
at a glance whats happening. Those LEDs would be a real boon to you at the moment.

Craig
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
Hi,

Port 2 pins 2-9 can't be outputs on the C25?
That is correct, page 2 of the C25 manual makes it plain......port 1 pins 2-9, 1, 14, 16 ,17 and port 2 pins 1, 14 ,16,17 are outputs
while the rest are inputs.

Craig