Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:49:26 PM

Author Topic: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything  (Read 10721 times)

ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything
« on: July 05, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
In the process of switching over to the ESS and I am having some trouble getting things setup. Trying to get the E-Stop and Enable signals going first. Have the E-Stop going from port3pin26 for the 5v to port3pin13 through a normally open switch. Have the pin13 set to active low and have Mach4 pointing to that pin in it's control menu. The problem is pushing the switch does nothing and Mach4 always shows the E-Stop clear, and if I set pin 13 to low Mach4 always shows the E-Stop tripped. As far as the enable signals go there doesn't seem to be any output.
Re: ESS Inputs and Outputs not doing anything
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Hi,
what breakout board are you using?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
Hi,
what breakout board are you using?

Craig

The C25
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
Hi,
section 3.1 page2 shows a representative circuit diagram of an input pin. Note the that input has a 220Ohm resistor and a LED to ground. You will require
a input able to source 20mA in order to be sure that the input is genuinely logic high. Your normally open switch will have to be CLOSED in order to pull the input
pin high. Is this what you intended? To Estop Mach you would have the switch contacts open.......

Make sure your choice of source for the 5V for your Estop switch is correct and  can source sufficient current. Do you have a multimeter?
If so measure the voltage at the 5V source and then again at the input pin with the switch closed, it should be 4.1V or more.

Craig

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:07:18 AM »
Are the jumpers on the ESS set to power the Bob?

I have a C25 and it is only port 1 and 2  not 3 so how are you connecting to port 3 pin 26 and port 3 pin 13 ?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
Hi,
section 3.1 page2 shows a representative circuit diagram of an input pin. Note the that input has a 220Ohm resistor and a LED to ground. You will require
a input able to source 20mA in order to be sure that the input is genuinely logic high. Your normally open switch will have to be CLOSED in order to pull the input
pin high. Is this what you intended? To Estop Mach you would have the switch contacts open.......

Make sure your choice of source for the 5V for your Estop switch is correct and  can source sufficient current. Do you have a multimeter?
If so measure the voltage at the 5V source and then again at the input pin with the switch closed, it should be 4.1V or more.

Craig

The 5v being used is the board 5v from port3pin26 which the documentation shows should do at least 24mA and I have tested and shows 5v.  Also it doesn't seem to matter how the switch is wired.  If the input is set to active low then Mach4 always shows the E-Stop clear, regardless of the switch.  And if it is set to active high then Mach4 always shows the E-Stop active, again no matter the position of the switch.   
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Are the jumpers on the ESS set to power the Bob?

I have a C25 and it is only port 1 and 2  not 3 so how are you connecting to port 3 pin 26 and port 3 pin 13 ?

All jumpers, for all three ports, are installed.  Using JST connectors to just those two pins.  That's why I chose pin 13 because it's right across from 26 so I can use a 1x2 connector. 
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
Hi,
so did you measure the voltage?

Craig
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
Hi,
so did you measure the voltage?

Craig

Yep,  full 5v.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
Hi,
so if the input port3 pin 13 is to be held high switch must be closed. If you open the switch the input goes low.
That's what is intended is it not?

Craig