Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:03:13 PM

Author Topic: Motion Control  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Klaus

•  42 42
    • View Profile
Motion Control
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
Hi

I am a little confused about the motion control thing.

Do I have to buy a special board for the Computer or is it enough with a plugin?

When I read on the website it could look like you have to buy a control board and a plugin?

Thanks
Re: Motion Control
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »
Hi Klaus,
there is a parallel port option for Mach4, its called Darwin. There is a cost, $25.00.
It apparently works pretty well but is NOT fully featured, things like THC and lathe threading
are not included nor is there any intention to do so.

The other alternative is an external motion control board like a SmoothStepper. There are six
manufacturers offering boards and the required plugin. The cheapest  start around $120 with
entry level capability, there are several more capable boards in the region $150 to $250 and some
very nice and very capable units for $600 plus add-ons.

Note that while Mach provides a full range of features not all boards support all features. You need to
do some research if you have a specific requirement like lath threading for instance.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Klaus

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »
Hi Craig

Thanks for your answer.

So when the machine comes with USB that doesn't help anything?

Klaus
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
Hi,
when you say 'comes with a USB' what do you mean?....does that mean that the machine already has a USB
connected external motion controller? If it does, then IF that particular controller has a Mach4 ready plugin...
then yes you'd be good to go...if not, then you will probably have to get a Mach4 capable controller.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:05 PM »
Hi Klaus,
how about posting make and model of your controller.

Craig

Offline Klaus

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:07:54 AM »
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:18:06 AM »
Hi Klaus,
that is an XHC board:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,36023.0.html
I think you've bought a world of hurt.

I posted this reply to you on May 25, 2018:
XHC is a Chinese company that make boards for Mach3 and other models for Mach4. I think they're rubbish, If you get one your on your own....a lot of Chinese
manufacturers don't bother to help you. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Craig

Offline Klaus

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 03:37:53 AM »
Hi Joe

Yes thanks, I saw your reply earlier, but it is not the same controller.
This should be a brand new model.

The situations is, that there is no way I can afford one of the Branded American or non-Chinese routers and I am not into a DYI machine.
In the end, it is only a card which I hope easily can be replaced if I get too many problems.

Right now I am only in the ordering process and they have been great to deal with so far.
It was me who pushed them to make a Machine that can work with Mach4.
They were very honest an told me they didn't have a lot of experience with Mach 4 so they actually recommended me to get Mach3.
But I am like this with software, that why should I buy a machine which can only run with software which is 10 years old and which not will be updated anymore.
Also, a lot of the things people have asked for with Mach 3 should now be in Mach4.

I will get a machine there are way more solid than other machines in that price range, but of course, I hope that I don't get into too many problems.

I did the same thing with a quite big laser cutter 2 years ago and I haven't had any problems at all. 

Ha ha I really hope I still can get some help in here despite I am buying a Chinese machine :)

Cheers

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43:03 AM »
Hi,
can you not buy the machine but WITHOUT the controller?

I have to agree mostly Chinese made routers are pretty good value mechanically but their electronics lets them down. If you bought the machine and then added your own
controller and probably your own stepper drivers you'd be in good shape.

Craig

Offline Klaus

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 03:57:52 AM »
Hi Craig

Yes I am sure I could but then I would have to use $600-1000 maybe and it would not affect the price much that I buy it without the controller.
At the same time, I have no Idea how to put it together. I have just been looking at the connections on a XHC board and I must say it just make me more confused.
They have promised me that they will set everything up so it is working on Mach 4 and then show me in a video that it is working ok. After that they will send me the Mach 4 Profile with all the settings for that machine, which is another (for me) very complicated thing.

This is not a machine I buy as a company, more a hobby thing.

So all in all I think and hope that I am better of with let them put everything together.

Thanks
Klaus
Ps. By the way, what a shame you are living so far away :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:59:23 AM by Klaus »