Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:15:52 PM

Author Topic: pokeys57cnc remote buttons  (Read 4001 times)

pokeys57cnc remote buttons
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
hi all,

Just got me self a 57cnc board for a lathe project, I have worked out (well think i have) axis,e-stop and the relays etc. But one thing is getting me. is how do you rig up a button to the 57cnc board.
e.g you have a control panel with a load of buttons on it. How do you connect the to the 57cnc board. so when you push one the coolant starts etc.

i have spent many many hours over the last week looking this up and can't find anything. i have found people that have done it, but they dont show you how. they just show them pushing a button on the panel and something out of shot clicks.
the manual says you can get a matrix keypad, but doesn't show you how to connect it to the board. it only shows how to program it once the matrix board has been connected. if i could find out how to connect a matrix board to the 57cnc. i could take the buttons off and put them somewhere else. it would be a pain, but do able. would much prefer to wire the buttons up like i have seen other do, but with the pokeys57u board.

or am i missing something. is it as easy as finding a pin.... lets say pin17. place wire from ground to button. wire from button to pin17. then telling the57cnc board what to do with it.

thanks in advance.

Blighty

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: pokeys57cnc remote buttons
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 12:08:25 AM »
Hi, Blighty

You can take a look at this blog post: https://blog.poscope.com/pokeys57cnc-pinout-explained/

It explains various types of PoKeys I/O signals and how they are accessed. Most pins have built-in pull-up resistors and switches are expected to be wired between input and GND.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:45:47 AM »
Hi Neo,

thanks for the link, makes a bit more sense now.
also found a .pdf on the pokeys web site. that explained how it was done. it was just called Pokeys.pdf and not pokeys57cncmanual.pdf. like i thought it would be called. silly me.

and it turns out it was just as simple as grounding out a pin and telling said pin what to do.

next thing is to see if you can setup a 57cnc to run the main bits and then have a 57u running all the buttons.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »
Yes, you can combine multiple PoKeys devices in Mach3 and Mach4. There can be only one motion controller and all motion-related signals (homing, limits, probing...) must be connected to the motion controller device.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
yep, that what i was hoping for,

use the 57cnc board to run the machine, motors, spindle, encodes, mdi's etc then use a 57U board for the buttons (keyboard emulator) and some macros.

I have been trying to do this with a tool changer. on Mach i have put in 8 more buttons 1,2,3 etc to one of the screens for the tool changer. you click on the button and the tool changes. but when i have tried to do this using the 57cnc it works a few times then it goes all funny. as in, it will go through the motions of the tool change two or three times. after a while mach will slow down then stop.

the button is done by the a quick key. pressing "1" will run "code t0101" pressing "2" code t0202 etc. the 57cnc board is set input pin16 "press the 1 key". dont know if this is right or wrong, but as i said it works a few times, then goes funny.  
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »
I have been trying to figure this out, with no luck. Have you figured this out to assign buttons to use as Mach 3 screen buttons?  Would appreciate if you have to help me out.  Thank you.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 10:16:08 AM »
Hi RickmColorado

it all been taken apart, will have to try this from memory.

lets say you need to rig up a button to turn the coolant on. first, find a free pin on your 57cnc board (pin 15 for e.g)
take the wire from one side of your button and connect it to any ground pin. the wire from the other side of the button goes to pin 15.

startup Mach3, in the plugins tab select pokeys config, when running select Pokeys mapping. on the left had side you should see a list of pins, scroll down to pin 15. in the next tab (function) select input. LED tab, scroll down till you find "Flood cooling" (think its number is 013) close down Pokeys config.

On the mach3 screen find the flood coolant LED. push your button, this should turn that LED on and off.
you would then to set a relay to turn on when the LED turns on to start your pump.

hope this helps.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »
Thanks so much for the quick response.  I know what to do.  Thank you.