Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:37:19 PM

Author Topic: Name of this controller? Manqls for it?  (Read 2660 times)

Re: Name of this controller? Manqls for it?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 04:57:10 AM »
Hi Guys,
forgive my ignorance but I'm guessing that you are talking about 'ShellBack' and its some naval term or tradition.

What does it mean?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
Among seafarers, there are those we call Shellbacks who have been formally indoctrinated into the Solomn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of the Deep.
Picture an aircraft carrier, such as the vessel I was on at the time, the ultimate expression of a countries naval power, costing billions of dollars to run and carrying billions of dollars of aircraft, stopping for the day and ceasing military operations to perform these ancient ceremonies.
The naval tradition is simply crossing the Equator while at sea, and the Shellbacks among the crew are in charge with, in my case, thousands of terrified Polywogs about to become men.
Aye, and there are things about which we do not speak.
Among the Shellbacks are those who have been granted the secret knowledge into the ways of Man in the hallowed city of Olongapo and whom are revered by common seaman and landlubber alike in tales of Legend.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:07:13 AM by Roaster »
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Among the Shellbacks are those who have been granted the secret knowledge into the ways of Man in the hallowed city of Olongapo and whom are revered by common seaman and landlubber alike in tales of Legend.

LOL! Olongapo! I  first crossed ********* River in 1974.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
Those were the days. They had Martial Law in effect when I was there with a midnight curfew. Many fond memories.
We were homed at Coronado Island and made three West-Pac's in all, with a year in dry dock in Bremerton, and then I transferred to a Fast Frigate out of Rhode Island.
Made two very nice Med cruises  before I got out.