Hello Guest it is November 14, 2019, 09:50:27 PM

Author Topic: Cutter compensation (milling)  (Read 703 times)

Offline Stuart

•  203 203
    • View Profile
Cutter compensation (milling)
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:51:25 AM »
Can someone explain how to use this

What I can do at this time my post processor outputs the g41 with a p3  this results in the dia. Offset to be set as indicted on the screen

Eg tool = 6
Dia. Offset =6
H offset =6

Now which way do I set the value in the tool table ?

I need this as I am making a bearing with a grove on each side ( made with a woodruff cutter ) and it needs to fit hence the need to set CC I am talking about 0.02 mm

Thanks in advance

Stuart
Re: Cutter compensation (milling)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
Stuart, What are you looking for?
You don't set the direction G41/G42 in the tool table, you only set the diameter in the tool table.  
I have only used cutter comp a couple of times and haven't used it since I started using Fusion 360. So I'm not the best to explain how it works, but here are a couple of resources that are informative.

Have you read through the cutter compensation section in the mill manual?  
Page 52
http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Mach4%20Mill%20GCode%20Manual.pdf

John Saunders has a pretty good video on his YouTube Channel NYC CNC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxtfs0Wr2X0
Chad Byrd

Offline Stuart

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
Thanks Chad

Yes I am ok with the g41/g42 is from the cam and is outputed by the post processor
Sorry I I did not make it clear with the tool table the tool is set by the dia. Column and the dia offset in the dia. Offset. Column

Yes I do use fusion360 for cad/cam

It was when using g41 do I input a - value in the offset table or a + one

These parts are for a beam engine and are tiny about a 10mm cube when made they are split to form bearing brasses

Thanks for the links I will give them a good looking at more than once at 71 the remaining brain cell is slow

Stuart
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:51:23 AM »
I'm not sure,  it will change depending on where you are cutting, inside or outside profile.

I would just do a quick bench test and see what is going to happen.  Put a (-) value in and see where it is going to cut.  If that is wrong, put a (+) value in. 
Chad Byrd

Offline Stuart

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
funny you should say that , I have just cad/cam up a simple part to do just that.

got some parts in the mill at the moment for the watts parallel motion to make as there are a few its set up to do multiple parts

I will come back with my finding. and broken end mills

Stuart

Thanks for your time

Offline Stuart

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 01:55:04 AM »
Well it worked out ok

Minus value did make the bored hole bigger

Stuart