Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:21:21 PM

Author Topic: limit switches  (Read 3217 times)

Offline drut

•  21 21
    • View Profile
limit switches
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »
ive, sorted the stepper motors,got it moving a treat, but could someone tell me how to connect the limit switches, ive tried a few things but nada, nothing stops my motors from moving, do i have to connect a wire from the switch to the motor driver then to the db25 connector or do i just connect the switch straight to the db25 connector,

many thanks

drut   
Re: limit switches
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »
The switches will need a 5v supply.   Did you sent the correct pin numbers in the setup screen?   Do any of the led's in the Diagnostic screen change state when you push a switch?
Here is a link of how it is done:
http://www.solsylva.com/cnc/limits.html

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: limit switches
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:10:40 AM »
The connections for the limit switches can be configured in CONFIG/PORTS AND PINS/INPUT SIGNALS where you can see the limits and homing for all the axis can be set up. My limit switches are a return wire (from the 25 way D plug) to the switch and then to the 25 way D plug to the appropriate pin you have set. I have used a seperate pair for each limit switch via a 9 way D type plug from my control box (which houses all the drivers and other electronics) to the lathe - I only need four limit switches so only have 8 wires. You don't need a seperate pair for each switch, but could wire them all from a single return wire if you wanted. As has been said - connect the switch to the NORMALLY CLOSED set of contacts

The  link above showed all the limit switches in series, one after the other. You DO NOT need to do this, because Artsoft has provided seperate inouts for each switch. You can double up on a limit switch - and use it as a homing switch as well if you want to.

Have a look at the tutorial video - although it gets confusing with the ACTIVE LOW options. Basically connect the switches to the pins as above, then look at the diagnostics page, and manually click the switches to see if the led lights up to show the switch is activated.
If it is already lit, and goes out when you click the switch, you need to change the ACTIVE LOW on that pin.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.