Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:07:34 PM

Author Topic: How fast is your G00 Rapids?  (Read 6432 times)

How fast is your G00 Rapids?
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:17:53 AM »
Just wondering how fast others in the forums are getting thier machines to run at.  Mine only does 70ipm running Mach 3 at 25khz.  I have a 3.6G processor and can run Mach at 35khz, but the servo's are smoother during 3 axis contouring if I keep the Mach controller at 25khz.  I guess my mistake was the high resolution encoders.  I think I have more resolution using the 512 count encoder wheels than I would ever need.  Other than that, the servo's are geared 2:1 and the ballscrews are .100" IPT.  I was really hoping to get to 150ipm rapids.  I think that's pleanty fast for a open table bridgeport mill.  Any faster than that and I would think that a programming error could cause some serious damage, bodily as well as mechanically.

Michael

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: How fast is your G00 Rapids?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »
If you are getting a Bridgeport mill to run at 70 inches per minute - I think that is good if it is the big Bridgeport I am thinking of.
I notice you are using servo motors -

I am using stepper motors on my Warco lathe, but the maximum traverse speed of either axis is a bit disappointing at 4 inches per minute - yes - 4. Any faster than this and the steppers seem to lock up. They are geared 3 to 1, but even so I would have thought I could have them going a little faster.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
you move the head around or the table,i have a kearney trecker that i fitted out the table weighs 900 lbs,when i
take it above 20 ipm it gets spooky stopping and turning corners.it will run faster but i can't  stand the destruction.
what do you cut at 100 ipm.

bill
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »
I hve run mine on 67000 mm/m a little over 2600ipm, but wont force it at this speed, I think I´ll settle with 45000 mm/min

Best reg
Cory
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »
I used the Elrod Machine Quill retrofit for the Z.  The Elrod quill is very nice, and expensive too!  But you only get 4" of travel because of how the ballnut release works.  I think the next machine I do I'll try to power the quill from the arbor that you mount the quill feed handle to.  I didn't want to try to power the knee because it is so heavy and I for-see problems.  I ended up putting the Mach controller back to 35KHZ and I get 96ipm rapids.  I use ball mills for contouring aluminum at 90ipm and run carbide inserted facemills at 60ipm and chips fly!  I used to run high end mold machines at 200-300ipm using 6mm ball mills making inserts for molds.  Using the slower feeds on aluminum, I can just cut a little deeper, leaving a scallop, but they are easily polished out.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »
I hve run mine on 67000 mm/m a little over 2600ipm, but wont force it at this speed, I think I´ll settle with 45000 mm/min

Best reg
Cory

2600ipm?  With ball screws?  I didn't know a ball screw was capable of handling a feedrate or rapid that high.  What kind of machine?  AC servo's?  What servo drive are you using?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:54:31 PM »
No ballscrew, AT-10 timing belts.

I use some old sanyo denki Bl Super servos, DIY machine, I believe it is ac servos

You can watch the machine running at 50000 mm/m on this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3MoU7KRB1AA

the sound from the machine on the turns are from skiding on the tiles

Best reg
 Cory

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »
motorhead101

you might want to consider powering the knee too,just don't wast the money making it fast.i fixed mine as a slow
   knee and a fast z.the knee has 16 inches of travel and the z has 6.works pretty good ,i just call on it in the code
  as a c axis.

bill
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:35:27 PM »
motorhead101

you might want to consider powering the knee too,just don't wast the money making it fast.i fixed mine as a slow
 knee and a fast z.the knee has 16 inches of travel and the z has 6.works pretty good ,i just call on it in the code
 as a c axis.

bill
Excellent idea, thanks!

vmax549

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »
Motorhead, if you want,need to go faster reset to 45 hz , BUT you need to retune the servos for speed. You will be able to up the speed BUT you will also need to slow the accellaration down a touch to keep it from jerking so bad. Fast is a two way street. SPEED/ ACCELLARATION.

70 IPM on a BP knee mill is hailing the mail.

Also at that speed on a short bed bad things happen in a blink of the eye(;-). I normally limit the top end to about 40 IPM with a 3hp spindle. I have the speed standing by but can't really use it .

(;-) TP