Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:01:56 AM

Author Topic: Bad Driver Test  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
Bad Driver Test
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:29:22 AM »
I'm sure people have submitted similar questions before so if someone could direct me to the most relevent thread I would appreciate it if it has been answered before.

I have just got hold of a spare computer from work which I intend to run exclusively with Mach3. That means no cad, no office, or anything else. As it came from our computer dept they completely cleared all files from the machine even Windows which I was quite happy about. I have now installed a licenced copy of Windows XP proffesional and Service pack 2, Mach3 R2.02.000, and Adobe reader and the Mach3 manual, and absolutely nothing else. The only time I connected to the internet was to activate Windows and to download Mach3. At this point I haven't connected the milling machine.
Running the Driver test gives some poor results. As the machine isn't connected in a network or even to the internet anymore I have taken a photo of the test and attached it as I am posting this from my other computer.
The dedicated Mach3 computer has an Intel Pentium III processor at 451MHz with 192MB of Ram, 6.02GB of hard disc of which I have 3.45GB free space. The file syestem is NTFS (?) whatever that means; I did have a choice of NTFS or FAT file types when installing Windows but having no idea what either type was I just picked one.
Connections on the back of the computer include 1x Parallel port, 2x serial ports, 2x USB, 1x Ethernet card port, mouse port, keyboard port, and a feed to the monitor.
I have done the installation as per the Mach3 manual, including the reboot immediately after insatallation, but I am getting the poor test results. As I was getting these poor results I installed the driver manually as suggested in section 3.1.7 but this changed nothing.
So, any ideas everyone?

Many thanks in advance ...Richard
Re: Bad Driver Test
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:59:12 PM »
Your CPU is way to slow!
It has a lot of problems keeping up and it will only get worse when you start using mach.

You can make a decent computer for 400$ that will run mach great.
You can probebly make one for 200$ if you have some parts.

You can turn off theme for xp and all the animations. It might help a little bit but IMHO you are under the limit.

*edit* also built in gfx might mess things up. If you have a spare graphics card you might test if it helps solve the problem.
I would however not invest any money into that computer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 01:02:12 PM by David_Web »

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »
If what you are saying is right David, and I am not doubting you, is there a list of system requirements on the main Mach3 site as I cannot find one? Searching this forum on "system requirements" does show other posts of people trying to run Mach3 with Pentium III 450Mhz processors having the same problem as me.
If there isn't a list of system requirements on the main site it must be worth including it as I am not the first, and probably not the last person, who has gone down this avenue of Pentium III and experienced performance limitations. Also, as I am a mechanical engineer and not really "in to" computers a simple shopping list of ideal specs would be useful as I could just as easily buy the wrong thing if buying a new computer as you suggest.

Appreciate your advice

Thanks ...Richard

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:38:18 PM »
Not sure if I have read sysreq anywhere but I have read many times that a CPU of 1Ghz or more is recommended.
Mach will still run lower but you might miss steps if you open/close windows etc.

Have you gone through the list of tweaks found on the download page?

I will install mach on my OLD laptop just to see what happens.

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 04:16:04 PM »
In the Mach Bible Chapter 2.2

....And the almighty Art said: http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/documentation/M3M1_84-A2.pdf

"To run the oh mighty Mach 3 you will need Vista , Windows Xp (or Windows 2000), ideally running on a 1Ghz processor with 1024x768 pixel resolution screen."

The Dell optiplex is a great buy on Ebay, you could get a very fast system includung 17" LCD monitor for around $100-300

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=dell+optiplex&category0=

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »
...and Sweep found himself struck down by the lightning bolt of knowledge cast down from upon high! Cursed are the infidel that skip pages of the Bible wanting to get to the good bits that impart life into the elements of steel and iron.

What about changing the CPU? I can buy a Intel Celeron 3.06Ghz CPU for around £30 from a builder 2 miles from where I live but is this a simple case of unplugging one and plugging in the other thus bringing immortal life... (back on the biblical theme) ...to those cast down by the ravages of age and pestulance?

...Richard

p.s. appologies to anyone who objects to the casual use of religion in this thread. I once dealt at work with a Muslim gentleman, and friend, who referred to his reference manual as the "Bible". I asked him if it would be a problem if I refered to mine as the "Koran" at which point he decided it wasn't such a good idea.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 05:32:20 PM »
What about changing the CPU? I can buy a Intel Celeron 3.06Ghz CPU for around 0„530 from a builder 2 miles from where I live but is this a simple case of unplugging one and plugging in the other thus bringing immortal life...

No.
And even if you could you would not want to.
I don't have the sockets in my head but they would probably not match. Even if they would the FSB would be to low.
I think it is 100 or 133Mhz for your computer and most computer today run at 800Mhz.

Most cheap systems that you can buy will work great.
You could probably find some used 1Ghz computers for free or very cheap.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:34:56 PM by David_Web »

ynneb

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:20:12 PM »
In the Mach Bible Chapter 2.2

....And the almighty Art said: http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/documentation/M3M1_84-A2.pdf

"To run the oh mighty Mach 3 you will need Vista , Windows Xp (or Windows 2000), ideally running on a 1Ghz processor with 1024x768 pixel resolution screen."

The Dell optiplex is a great buy on Ebay, you could get a very fast system includung 17" LCD monitor for around $100-300

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=dell+optiplex&category0=

Reminds me of a competition design I once entered.

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 03:05:58 AM »
-Art's Last Supper-
I mean no disrespect in anyway just... thought it might look funny  ;D

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!