Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:43:43 PM

Author Topic: Keryboard Jog won't save between sessions  (Read 2485 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Keryboard Jog won't save between sessions
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »
Mach4 3481. Everything works great EXCEPT..........I setup keyboard jog buttons, all work, X/Y/Z/A jog and rapid jog with shift, all work. Can enable and disable on the Jog tab, everything just works great. Shut down Mach, restart, all the settings are GONE except X/Y/Z/A are still setup, keys selected, but functions all empty so no keyboard jogging. Set it all up again, works, shut down Mach, gone. I did a clean install of Mach4 and copied my profile/screenset in, same. Keyboard plugin is enabled, obviously, because it works until shut down. The machine.ini file seems to not have the jog info saving, or...........something. What am I missing here? I don't use keyboard jog a lot, so I don't know how long this has been like this, just discovered it today when I tried to keyboard jog and couldn't. I thought, OK, maybe I didn't set it up, so I DID set it up and it worked great. Shut down Mach, come back a few hours later, no keyboard jog.

Tom
--
Tom
Re: Keryboard Jog won't save between sessions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
Hi,
one possibility is that the data is not being written to the profile file. There are some distinct rules and procedures for ensuring
profile data is saved. I'll try and find a post which might give you some ideas.

The other possibility is that the profile does not contain any references to the settings or features you wish to preserve.
That could be accommodated with simple script.

Exactly what data needs to be recorded? Is there any allowance made for this data in the profile file?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »
Hi Tom,
this is smurph's explanation of the process of recording data to the profile file. I know this is a different set of data
but I think the idea might help.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,33866.msg235282.html#msg235282

Craig

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »
Wow, we sailed right over my head on that one ;)

I'm simply going to Config, Plugins, Keyboard Plugin and setting up jogging. When I set it up and exit, for that session of Mach, keyboard jogging works. When I shut down Mach and restart it, everything I did in the Keyboard Plugin setup is GONE. No scripting taking place, just what I would call "normal" setup. If I need to do scripting to accomplish this, something is wrong.

Now, I'm not too smart about this, but I DO know that machine.ini is my "profile." So I looked in there, can see the provisions for the keyboard jog settings, but they don't change when I do the above exercise. I THINK they SHOULD. I have never touched machine.ini manually or with scripting, other than opening it in Notepad for a look.

I am running Mach as administrator. Windows 10 Pro. Everything ELSE I've ever done in Mach4 for the past year has been fine,  so I'm guessing my "profile" is being saved. If I'm recalling correctly, keyboard jogging was working a while back, but like I said, I don't use it a lot, so no idea when, or how, it stopped working.

I'll attach a screenie showing file attributes, save time yesterday just before I posted, and a piece of machine.ini showing jog settings, note no FUNCTION where there WERE functions when saved.

--
Tom
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »
Hi,
looks like the data is in the profile.

Do you have 'keyboard jog' enabled?

Craig

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
So I start Mach4, go to Keyboard setup, setup X jogging, enable keyboard jogging, it works, machine jogs with keyboard. Quit Mach4, restart, Function in Keyboard plugin setup is empty now, and, of course, keyboard jogging doesn't work.

Where do  you see the correct data in the profile? The key, 37 in my screen shot, is there, but the Function (green arrow) should have something other than zero, shouldn't it?

There's something about this I don't understand. Do I need to setup keys somewhere else, somewhere other than the keyboard plugin? Do I need to FORCE save the profile somehow? What IS it?

The reason I suspect file attributes or something is I have 4 axes setup to jog and those keys show in the plugin setup, but with NO function. If I add keys, for example, rapid jog with shifted keys, it works 'til I quit Mach and THOSE don't show up AT ALL on next Mach restart in the plugin setup, nor in the machine.in.

Again........keyboard jogging works fine in a given Mach4 session, but quitting Mach4 and restarting, settings are gone and jogging doesn't work, set keys up again, they work until quitting Mach4. All thru this, button jogging and pendant jogging works fine always.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:52:11 AM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
Hi Tom,
yes you are right, I've just looked in my profile file and there are function=1, function=3, function=7 etc in the same place where yours is all function=0

For some reason Mach is not recording data to your profile. Go back and re-read what smurph said about mc.mcProfileFlush().

Craig

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
I think I figured this out by mistake. Last night I tried a clean install of of Mach4 3481. While copying plugins I missed the Vista CNC P2-S plugin. I edited the keyboard plugin for all my jog keys and it worked, and saved. Put the Vista CNC plugin back and that worked. Did not try editing the keyboard plugin after all that, but will.

So it's either it was the clean install which I'd tried before with out success, or the Vista CNC plugin somehow interferes with the keyboard saving it's info into the machine.ini. Today I'll try another keyboard plugin edit and if it doesn't save, I'll pretty much know it's the Vista CNC plugin. I sort of suspect that because of the "bricking" issue with these that others have seen and "sort of" determined it was the pendant plugin and keyboard plugin interacting somehow.

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »
Same issue here. Mach4, ess, tmc3in1 plugins. If u assign the keyboard inputs they work great until i close Mach 4. When i open up only the x+ jog is there. I've tried too many times. Any advice?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »
All I can say is REMOVE all non essential plugins from the plugins folder, don't disable them, move them someplace else, start Mach4, get the keyboard jogging setup like you want, restart and see if it sticks, then move your plugins back. If moving your plugins back hoses your setup, then I'm stumped, no more suggestions:)
--
Tom