Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:50:11 AM

Author Topic: Laser tool measuring  (Read 1097 times)

Laser tool measuring
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
I got this crazy idea the other day to try building a DIY laser tool measuring system. A quick search of the Internet showed that commercial solutions were in the thousands of dollars, and only one guy on Youtube has a working DIY example. I found the laser sensor he is using on Ebay for $75.  Now it's in my shop and I have to make good on the attempt. Anyone else tried doing this? Anyone got any advice?

Measuring tool length should be easy, use the same procedure as with a touch plate. The diameter may be a bit more difficult. Cutters are not always symmetrical within the volume of their rotation. I figure I would need to spin the tool to get an accurate measurement. This would avoid with asymmetry  and would only require measuring laterally from one direction.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it has a 80mm throat opening and is repeatable within 5μm. It takes 10v to 30v DC and acts a PNP switch.

-Freeman
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:31:50 PM by Analias »
I'm not a complete idiot...
    there are some parts missing.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Laser tool measuring
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:43 AM »
Just use its signal as a probe input then use the Touch button to run the mcTouchOff module. Adding a spin reverse for diameter measurements to the module for yourself shouldn't be too difficult.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Laser tool measuring
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
Hi Freeman,

Please keep us posted on how this pans out - sound like an excellent solution.

Tweakie.
PEACE