Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:44:46 PM

Author Topic: Tapping using G85  (Read 3509 times)

Tapping using G85
« on: July 12, 2007, 04:52:01 AM »
Dear All
I am new to the cnc world and am still finding my feet. I have just puchased a Tapmatic tapping head SPD5 which has a geared ratio of 1:1 . Want to use tapping head rather than rigid tapping as I want to reduce wear and tear on machine
as it is a small benchtop model (wabeco 1210). As the feed for this unit needs to be the same going in as out the instruction manual recommends programming with G85. When using lazycam I have treated the drawing as 2 drilling operations then I manually edited the second drilling operation from G81 to G85. This works to a point. Except there is a small amount of chatter on the way out. The trouble shooting guide says this problem may be due to the fact process not using constant velocity mode. I have altered the general config file to constant velocity mode but during the process it always reverts to exact stop. (the backlash is not enabled and cv less than angle is not enabled) I have tried the program by modifiying the program to use two G01 lines and this works but this method is a pain when there is a few holes . I liked the sound of LAZY cam for a reason. My two questions are A) Is there an easier way of using the tapping head via lazycam that I don't know about?   B) Any ideas on what is controlling the constant velocity mode?
Cheers George
Re: Tapping using G85
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
I think you are hearing the clutch. The Tapmatic is designed to pull out at 1.75X the speed. I am trying to figure out how to fix this in programming. It seams to me that a Tapmatic is common enough that there would be a G code for it.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping using G85
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:25:27 AM »
Have a look at this thread (no pun intended  ;D)

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1551.msg8780.html#msg8780

Graham
Without engineers the world stops