Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:54:37 AM

Author Topic: 9 Pin serial interface  (Read 4989 times)

Offline bodger_roger

•  7 7
  • Roger, Always an engineer!!
    • View Profile
    • foundry-fopars
9 Pin serial interface
« on: July 12, 2007, 04:42:15 AM »
Hi
Will MACH3 run with a serial connection, i have mine running and working with two parallel ports but i would line to condense it some what by using a db 9 pin :-\ serial connecter interface.

if so anyone got a circult suggestion on how this can be done.

roger :-\ :-\
Re: 9 Pin serial interface
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:59 PM »
What are you looking to do ??? if you need to have more IO we can help :) If you are looking to run the machine over serial you are out of luck :( You just can't move the data that you need to have good motion (for the work that most users do that is)

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:38:23 AM »
Brian - Can you give us an idea of what is possible over the 9 pin serial connection - e.g. spindle motor control, limit switches etc and what kind of interface we would need to use it.

How do we access this connection through the pins and ports page etc.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline bodger_roger

•  7 7
    • View Profile
    • foundry-fopars
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:26:05 PM »
Hi Brian.

What do i want HUmm well my initial thoughts ran along the lines of loosing the two paralell cables and adopt an intelegent interface/ controler.
It must be possible to develop a bit of PIC code that will give a serial port connection and then dunp out the info in a format that can be used by the stepper drivers.

The electronics i can do the software no hope i cant spell letalone wright software

what do you think??  :-\

oh if you want to see my creation working www.foundry-fopars.co.uk and navigate to cncproject

Roger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
I have a PLC that is running the spindle speed and tons of IO :) So you tell me what need and I will tell you if I have done it in the past.

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com

Offline bodger_roger

•  7 7
    • View Profile
    • foundry-fopars
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
Hi Brian 8)

Thanks for the reply well it sounds just the sort of thing i need, as i originally wanted to have one small interface cable running from the PC to the controller, as I am using MACH3 as an interface on the pc it sort of made sence to have an option in MACH3 where a serial IO could be used, afterall most of the professional cnc controllers are using it, but these are most probably migrating to usb.

so what do i want, well all of the most obvious things limits, step direction spindel control, you know what ever i can get realy :-\

roger
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 04:01:10 PM by bodger_roger »
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:23:13 PM »
You could also have a look at the ModIO :
http://www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html

and the PLC's from Automationdirect.com I use the DL06 and an analog card. the cost of everything is about 400.00 so as you can see it is not the lowest cost solution but is works :) . with this I can run the Spindle speed and take in FRO and Spindle speed override. There are 20 in and 16out (I think) that can be used for any low speed IO that you like...

Hope that helps
Brian

www.machsupport.com