Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:47:07 PM

Author Topic: Windows 10 update causes erratic movements  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Cary

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Windows 10 update causes erratic movements
« on: March 02, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
Hi All,
I am having issues with my small cnc mill. I teach at a school where we updated to new 64 bit computers this year. When I installed Mach 3 onto the new computer and used a UC100 usb controller. Everything has been working fine, until a windows update installed. I went to cut a 2D pocket out and in the middle of the process the machine plunged into the part about 1/2" when the plunge was set at .06" for each pass. It was totally random and the machine when reset worked fine until the next time I loaded a part. I set the z at .5" above the part to test it and when I did a MDI G0 Z0.5 z moved up to the top of the carriage and crashed. So I went to the settings page and tried to check the calibration of steps. When I selected X and move 1 unit the machine traveled the whole length of the table???? Motor steps are still what they are supposed to be, yet every time I load mach 3 when I first open the program movement is fine 1 to 1 ratio. Then when I load a file it wacks out and crashes. I have tried several files that have never had issues running and they do the same thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Windows 10 update causes erratic movements
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
Hi,
I know it is the norm to update Windows but why? It would help if you are getting updated security patches to avoid the latest scam but your CNC PC shouldn't be
on the internet and not exposed to the threats and not therefore require all the latest Windows updates.

I am intrigued that you should be asking on a Mach forum 'what's wrong with Mach when it fails after an update' instead of on a Windows forum asking 'what's wrong with
Windows, one of my applications fails now that the update is in place'.

I can only presume that the PC you use for Mach is also used for all or a lot of your other classroom activities? If that's the case then it may well be a regular thing that
Windows updates are going to interfere with Mach.

My suggestion would be in the first instance to check the firewall rules to ensure that nothing has changed. The second idea may be to see if you can exclude the Gcode
files requested by Mach from the anti-virus scan.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »
Are you sure the file isn't in different units then your Mach3 setup? I seriously doubt that a Windows update had anything at all to do with this issue.

I'd recommend creating a new profile from scratch, and then make a backup copy of the .xml file when everything works fine.

Mach3 does make automatic .xml backups. Try replacing your .xml file with an older one from the \xmlbackup folder from when it was working correctly.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Cary

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
Thanks for your input, both of you. :) Sad to say we have no control over updates and our computers have to be online so they can be monitored. Windows forums all say the same thing. Debugging is within the program not a windows issue >:( I will try the backup file tip that might work. Also I will try uninstalling Mach 3 and reinstalling it. I will let you know if I solve this issue and what I did to do so.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Hi,
I have heard it said that a PC running Mach is NO LONGER A PC, it is a machine controller that happens to use Windows as an operating system.

Debugging is within the program not a windows issue

How is it that Mach started playing up AFTER a Windows update?

You may be advised that a separate PC for CNC alone might be the ultimate solution.

Craig

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:15:20 AM »
I would certainly put in a request for a cheap PC and strip it for use as a Mach3 base, no other use at all, even leave it off the network and especially WiFi
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »
Did I miss something with 32bit vs. 64bit?  I was under the impression Mach can only be utilized on a 32 bit system.  Therefore the newest operating system I have is Windows 7 32 bit on two of my machines.  The others are XP.  You can get a good machine off Amazon for this.  No wifi, don't plug into the network.  The computer will not need to be "monitored" then because the kids will not be able to get online.  If this comes down to a wild west shootout with the Tech Dept at your school, you will need to go over their heads if you want your CNC to work.  Having been a teacher I can say the tech dept can be kind of controlling at times.  Best of luck.  And yes I agree with the others...no production rig should ever be hooked up to the internet.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
Hi,
a parallel port MUST be run on a 32 bit OS Windows7 or earlier.
Mach will run on either 32 or 64 bit but to use 64 bit then you will need an external motion controller like a SmoothStepper or a UC100.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
Well that answers my question.  Never got into the external motion controllers.  All my PCs have the parallel ports.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Hi,
I operated Mach for several years with two parallel ports before I bought a SmoothStepper. The SmoothStepper allows smoother motion which allowed me
to increase the speed of the motors 25% without losing steps and the motors are quieter and run a little cooler. Also means that I can use just about any working
PC rather than a parallel port desktop machine and Mach is very much less susceptible to interuptions than with a parallel port.

Craig