Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:08:03 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 and CSMI0/IP-A  (Read 1718 times)

Mach4 and CSMI0/IP-A
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
Hey guys, just though I would throw this one out there and get some feedback.  I have been working on a retrofit of the first machine I built.  I have done a bunch of upgrades with the CSMIO/IP-M.  Since I had originally set it up with Mach3 I stuck with that.  Since this is fresh on my mind I thought it would be a good time to go ahead and pick back up on my lathe project.  I already have a CSMIO/IP-A controller new in the box.  Also about everything else I need including the servos.  Thought I might my start building the control panel and get motor movement.  Has anyone else used this controller on Mach4??  Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Mach4 and CSMI0/IP-A
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »
Hi,
I've not used any CSMIO controller however did try to help a bloke with a Lua coding project. The CSMIO
board has a Mach4 plugin but it is, by CS Labs own admission, a work in progress. I found certain problems
with the plugin, not fatal flaws but frustrating.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:32:12 PM »
From my own experience I think there controllers are second to none with Mach3.  However new platforms take time work out. Just wasn’t for sure if I should subject myself to anymore struggles than neccesary. I know Mach3 will be fine, but Mach4 has me intrigued. Thanks for the comments!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:15 AM »
I use a CSMIO/IP-A on a mill, and the basics work very well. One thing about the CS Labs kit is that you will have no problems with electrical noise: the 24V levels and isolation are very effective.

Do you have the FP4 version of the controller which uses the latest v3.08 plugin or the older version which uses the v2.910 plugin?

Sorry I have no idea how lathe support stands for this unit, but my advice is just try it; you can always revert to Mach3 until the features you need have been implimented. Getting used to LUA will take some time, but it is well worth the effort as Mach4 offers great flexibility and responsiveness.

Allan
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:34:04 AM »
I,m sure it’s the older version.   It’s been put up a couple of years now. To many irons in the fire!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
As far as I know, unfortunately there will be no further development of the v2.910 plugin. From the CSMIO Quick Start manual, it appears that threading might not be supported with Mach4, but if no one here is using the CSMIO/IP-A on a lathe it might be worth asking CS Labs what support is offered.

Using the mill, v2.910 was very reliable.

Allan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:00:32 AM by Fledermaus »
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
I will definitely want threading.   I may send support an email and see what they say.