Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:33:34 PM

Author Topic: PMDX411 Spindle & MaCH4 Speed control  (Read 2965 times)

PMDX411 Spindle & MaCH4 Speed control
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
I am having a problem running my spindle after upgrading to Mach4 and a PMDX SmartBob 411. There is no response from the spindle on an MDI M3 command.

When I load a program file the spindle starts up but immediately stops. Could it be that there is no spindle feedback?

My spindle config is PWM on Pin 14 (Gecko540) at 75 Hz, rpm measured from index. PWM output polarity is Active High. (On active low spindle starts spinning when Mach is initiated)

My Inputs #1 through #4 are pins 11,12,13, and 15, with a "tick" in the Active Low col, Index is on Pin13, Motor Homes and Limits are on Pin11, Limit Override on Pin 12 and EStop on Pin 10, all with "tick" in the Active Low col

Output#1 is Pin 17 and Spindle On is Pin 1 with "tick" in the Active Low col. and Charge Pump is on Pin 16 (Gecko540) with a "tick" in the Active Low.

I have 0 in Min rpm in the Spindle tab and 3000 as max rpm.

On m3 s200 the spindle runs straight to around 2900. I have no control over changing the speed.

Any ideas?

I've attached my profile & the VFD wiring diagram for pins 5 throough 9.

Joe
Re: PMDX411 Spindle & MaCH4 Speed control
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
Hello Joe,

You have to put a value in for your min RPM, it can't be zero. Try changing it to whatever you feel safe with (other than 0) and you should see an improvement.

-Bryanna
Newfangled Solutions Helpdesk: http://support.machsupport.com
YouTube Support Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MachSupportOfficial
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
Hi Bryanna

Thank you for replying. Actually, I tried this. On M3, the spindle starts to turn but then stops after a couple of turns. I could be wrong but my understanding of the min rpm field is to turn on any motor cooling fans but does not affect the spindle start. I suspect there is a rpm sensing problem somewhere in my set up. My machine has a magnetic sensor on the spindle.

Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
What happens when you issue a m3 s1500?  Do you still get 2900 rpm or does it slow?

Do you have Mach spindle configured with a tic in the 'Wait on spindle to stabilize'?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
Hi Bryanna

The issue now is that the spindle does not turn, let alone spin to max rpm. It's only when I change the Active High to Active Low does it immediately spin to max rpm. The only way to stop it is by hitting the EStop.

I tried it with the spindle delay box checked and also with it unchecked with no luck. The spindle seems to start and then immediately disables Mach.

Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
I think we have found Joe's problem.

His PMDX-411's spindle speed signal was configured for Pulse Frequency mode
whereas the G540 requires PWM mode.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
The problem still remains. I changed this to PWM and also changed the min PWM to 0, 5 and 10% from 50%. Now the Spindle barely turns. At S500 for example it maxes out at around 100 rpm. I set the PWM Hz to 75 to match my Mach3 settings but it made no difference.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
Here's an update on the lathe spindle speed issue:

Steve Stallings of PMDX recreated the same issue on their lathe. Here is his reply:

>>>I have reproduced your problem on a system here.

>>>Everything works properly on a Mill configuration using a G540 config
>>>with PWM on pin 14.

>>>When I run a Lathe configuration, I see symptoms similar to what
>>>you described.

>>>W>hen I take our sample Mill profile and set it to Lathe Diameter mode
>>>>it does seem to work. Something is fishy here.....

A few days later Steve came back with the following work around:

>>>>Open the page at   Config > Mach and it will default to the General tab.

>>>>In the second column of options at the bottom is a block called Spindle Mode.

>>>>Click on Constant RPM and the Apply.

>>>>This should make it possible to control your spindle speed. It does not
>>>>solve the issue of how to actually do Constant Surface Speed. I am looking
>>>>into how that works. Seems very few people know and I need to talk to the
>>>>right guy at MachSupport.

So, here I am on MachSupport!

I am running March 4 Build #3481 with a PMDX411 SmartBob [Rev A PCB] with SmartBob USB PlugIn version 0.52.254,  SmartBob USB Bootloader version 1.13.73, and SmartBob USB Firmware version 0.58.205.

Any ideas, anyone?

Joe