Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:50 PM

Author Topic: Switching from Mach3 to Mach4  (Read 17602 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Switching from Mach3 to Mach4
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2020, 01:47:47 AM »
Hi Chris,

There is no real easy transition from Mach3 to Mach4. Setting-up is basically starting out from scratch.
Because Mach4 is a new product from the ground up the only thing that is usable from Mach3 is your .xml machine settings, Port and Pin, Velocity, Acceleration, etc., etc.
The really important part of using Mach4 is that you would need to choose a motion controller which supports all the functions you intend to use - some are better at Turn, some at Plasma, some at Laser, etc. and the Chinese controllers should be avoided at all cost.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »

Chinese controllers should be avoided at all cost.

really? those cheap controllers are basically all supplied with mach3 demo's currently, id say a VERY large part of the mach userbase arrived it from them. Bad move if that is true, will keep a large part of the market locked into Mach3.

There is no real easy transition from Mach3 to Mach4.

Thanks, I see no compelling reason to move then, you know the adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." ;)

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:20 PM »
Hi,
NFS have no say in whom or how hardware is made for Mach3 or to  a certain extent Mach4.

In order to make a Mach4 plugin, be it for a motion controller or pendant or PLC etc, a person/organisation/company
would do well to sign a N(on) D(isclosure) A(greement) with NFS and then they get all the inside information
to make a good job. NFS is very keen to see other manufacturers making hardware and plugins for Mach4 and offer
considerable support to those who do.

At the current time the only manfacturers who have invested considerable time and effort to make a working Mach4
plugin are European ans US based. All have long experience in the Mach3 market and all have a great reputation
for support, none could really be considered cheap.

There is but one Chinese manufacturer who has made a Mach4 plugin but its that buggy that no-one uses it.
The company concerned don't seem to care either, if they've got your money you are out of luck.

As you know development of Mach3 ceased six years ago....so Mach3 is what it is....there will be no updates or increased functionality.
On the other hand Mach4 development proceeds apace.

Presumably if you are happy enough with the functionality of Mach3 then you aren't interested in mcSurface plugin, script based THC,Trace module,
Mach4 Ethercat and so on, and these are only the last few months.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2020, 01:59:06 AM »
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

That has always worked well for me Chris  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2020, 12:34:37 AM »

mcSurface plugin, ... ,Trace module,

Please tell me these are things related to digitizing?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
Hi,
no, those features are not related to digitising.

Mach4 does have up to four probe inputs which could be used to advantage in a digitizing routine but Mach4 does not have
a digitizing Wizard that is familiar to Mach3 users. There is certainly nothing to prevent you from writing your own module to
do so, but I'm guessing you don't want to write programs.

There may be a solution for you though.

mcSurface Wizard is feature that allows Mach to autonomously probe a given XY area and record the Z axis data at each of the
sample points. Thus the file looks a bit like a 'bed of nails'. The mcSurface file is intended to be applied to the z axis thereafter
with the intent that it correct a 'wavy or otherwise uneven machine base'. You wouldn't want to use that particular function
but it does provide a 'bed of nails file', would that be adequate?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2020, 01:21:36 AM »
Hi,
no, those features are not related to digitising.

Mach4 does have up to four probe inputs which could be used to advantage in a digitizing routine but Mach4 does not have
a digitizing Wizard that is familiar to Mach3 users. There is certainly nothing to prevent you from writing your own module to
do so, but I'm guessing you don't want to write programs.

There may be a solution for you though.

mcSurface Wizard is feature that allows Mach to autonomously probe a given XY area and record the Z axis data at each of the
sample points. Thus the file looks a bit like a 'bed of nails'. The mcSurface file is intended to be applied to the z axis thereafter
with the intent that it correct a 'wavy or otherwise uneven machine base'. You wouldn't want to use that particular function
but it does provide a 'bed of nails file', would that be adequate?

Craig

No, not really what I need. The thing that would make me buy *right now* is if it incorporated the DXF-generation capability of ProbeIt, so that it could be used for CMM / reverse-engineering stuff. I don’t really want to have to use Mach4 for machining and Mach3 for probing.

ProbeIt doesn’t do bed-of-nails- it will follow a perimeter. Lot faster and more detail-oriented than bed of nails, and DXF output makes things easy to get into CAD.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 01:24:03 AM by peter.steele »