Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:13:19 AM

Author Topic: ESS not communicating to Mach 4  (Read 4487 times)

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
Re: ESS not communicating to Mach 4
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:22:40 AM »
If you see the dro`s moving then the ESS is communicating, I would check the bob has voltage going to it and disable the chargepump.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »
I did ping it when I first installed it and it worked.  Ethernet cable port LED is yellow.  Charge pump disabled in Mach and BOB.  Board is getting 4.9 volts.  Two red lights on BOB at the power port and where the EStop is connected.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
Update: I thought all was saved when I found the ribbon cable was loose, but again to no avail. The upside is that all the LEDs light up and when I use the keyboard, buttons or MDI, they light correspondingly.

Still no movement.

I am getting about 4.5v at dir and .11v at pul at my stepper drivers.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:18:18 AM »
Hi,
you really need an oscilloscope to diagnose this. In absence of an oscilloscope ther are a few tests you can do to get some meaningful info.

Your BoB has LEDs on the ouputs, they will double as a 'poor mans voltmeter'

First you need to check whether direction pulse are getting through to your drivers.

MDI:
G0 X5

and note the status of the X direction output LED.

Now MDI
G0 X-5

and note the staus of the same LED.
Did it change?. If it didn't you have a problem. It would mean that either there is no signal coming out of the ESS or the BoB is not transmitting the signal
its getting.

Quite frankly trying to probe the pin headers on the ESS is a recipe for disaster. If the ESS is not broken now what's the bet that one slip.... and it will be broken.....no
matter how it started!
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
hello the ESS has its own diagnostic screen its in the bottom of the 3rd pull down menu cant think of its name. it will tell you if the ess is putting signals out. the fact that numbers are moving is the MACH thinks it is. i would look over my motor and enable settings close. in case i miised it what BOB are you using and do the output pins have leds on them. the one i use has leds and they are invaluable

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:14:27 AM »
also just because i am thinking you can use a logic probe on the output for the drive or just connect a let to it in the proper polarity and if you want to not kill the led use a resistor.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »
Ran G0 X5 and the LED for PUL- lit on both X and A axis (A is slaved to X in reverse).  Ran G0 X-5 and Pul- and Dir - lit. The Pul- wasn't near as bright as the Dir-.

Should the jumper on the BOB be set to com=gnd or com=5v?  My documentation from my supplier says set to gnd.  Would it damage anything to try setting to 5v?
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
Hi,
I think the pulses are coming out of the BoB but th drivers/motors are not responding.

Can you post the driver manual and a pic or diagram of how you wired the driver and the steppers.

Whether the com is set to 0V or 5V is more to do with the input circuit of the drivers,

Craig
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
I will, but if it's safe I'll try switching the com jumper to 5v first.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 11:42:16 AM »
Hi,
it will at best make a difference to the direction signal.  If you chose to waste your time...

Craig