Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:19:21 PM

Author Topic: Getting More Inputs, How do you?  (Read 2554 times)

Getting More Inputs, How do you?
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:23:37 AM »
I'm using a Pokeys57CNC and love it. How do I get more inputs if I run out on my motion control board? I mean I wouldn't add another motion control board, right? Seems like there should be a cheaper solution?
Re: Getting More Inputs, How do you?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:18:43 AM »
Hi,
not sure about Mach3. With Mach4 you can only have one motion controller but you may have more input boards. You could for instance have your PoKeys
as your motion controller and then have ANOTHER one as an input board. In fact PoKeys development history is exactly that, their boards all started off as data
collection/communication boards. Only later did they morph into CNC controllers.

You might think PoKeys is an expensive solution to data collection, its not....in fact PoKeys enjoy a good reputation for value for money.

One other way to get more input is with Modbus. Modbus would work equally well with Mach3 or Mach4. It will require a processor to 'assemble the data'
into Modbus format. Peter Homman of Homman Designs in Austrailia and long time contributor on the forum will probably have some good solutions.

You could also use serial input. I have not heard of any boards that work off the shelf, I think you would have to roll your own, probably cheap enough but potentially
very time consuming.

Anyway the 57 PoKeys have got swags of inputs/outputs, are you in any danger of running out?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »
I'm using a Pokeys57CNC and love it. How do I get more inputs if I run out on my motion control board? I mean I wouldn't add another motion control board, right? Seems like there should be a cheaper solution?
Modbus to an Arduino Uno. Inexpensive and easy to do. Not only do you get 14 I/O but you also get 6 analog inputs. Not bad for $22 for an authentic Arduino or you can buy a clone for a lot less. An Arduino Mega gets you a lot more I/O.

I am working on this now to add analog inputs to several of my machines so I can have FRO, RRO, and SRO using pots. $22 and a little time vs the $200 to activate the analog inputs on my Hiconn board.  :o
Look in the Modbus section of this forum to see some examples.

As Joe average has said the regular Pokeys is also another great option.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
Craig, I'm getting close. The Pokeys57CNC only boasts 28 inputs in their description. When you add in a custom pendant; I've already used 14 or so and want to add a 8 position rotary switch to make tool changes. And some inputs don't seem to work. They're either Analog, or say PWM and I couldn't get Pin 21 to work.

Both of you mention Modbus, I'm just figuring out Modbus. I used it for communication with my PLC for my ATC.

I was more curious in case I did run out of inputs. Thanks both of you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:13:35 AM by Cartierusm »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
Just use the inputs on the click. If you run out, add another input card to the click and continue on.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
Ah, very interesting. Thanks. Hella easier to wire that than a freakin' IDC cable. Plus I have a ton of cards, well 2. Maybe 3.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 09:02:32 PM »
Chaoticone? If you read my other post for the tool changer you'll see I made a stupid mistake. Well I almost made another one. I was going to wire to my Pokeys more inputs and assign some code so I press a button and have mach do tool changes when I'm manually machining without Gcode. Then it hit me what you said above. I already have the tool changer buttons wired up to my PLC, that's how I did tool changes before you guys helped me with the programming.

All I have to do it change my ladder a little and program the modbus in mach!!!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »
Yup, and one of the best side benefits that you may not even realize is you can use 24 V IO (which is far less susceptible to noise) for your pendent.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
Interesting.