Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:07:51 AM

Author Topic: Lathe Fixture offsets  (Read 1445 times)

Lathe Fixture offsets
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
Could someone explain when you would use fixture offsets with a lathe?

TIA

RT
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:55:52 PM by rhtuttle »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Fixture offsets
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
I have used work / fixture offsets to machine more than one part on the lathe when the gcode is for only one part.
IE; G54 for the first one and G55 for the second one. The G55 just has a modified Z work offset compared to the G54 Z offset so it's start where the first part was parted off. Now if some reason, say a diameter was off you could also use another work offset to change X work offset by some amount to tweak the final machining. Just need to use your imagination.

BTW, I use a custom screen and can select / change the work offsets at will for any amount desired without leaving the current page.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:14:31 PM »
Ok thanks Rich, that makes sense.  Do you just put the g5x.x in your code?  As you can tell I'm not a machinist but working hard to learn as much as I can.  Your willingness to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Rt

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
You could put it in the code.
 Again, I easily alter one of the work offsets and set it current via the screen. Then rerun the program from home position.  Since I don't use switches, my lathe is always set such that home is
referenced location ( Machine Coordinate 0,0), there is no work offset defined in the gcode of the program, and there are no work / fixture offsets on startup. G54 work offset is created when touching off the stock. To each their owe on how they work and that includes me. ;)

RICH