Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:03:22 AM

Author Topic: Need help: Z origin reference changes one code starts ????  (Read 1531 times)

Need help: Z origin reference changes one code starts ????
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
This one has me stumped...\
- using Mach3 and Vcarve Pro v9

- Used Vcarve Pro to create code. Using v90 1/2 inch bit in one inch stock  (a Kitchen cutting board ).
- I set depth at .4 for 2 inch letters with a .8 safety height.
- I set XYZ origins all at zero (at XY midpoint at top surface of stock).
- This code ran successfully but letters were cut very deep.

- So I created a new test file to sample various depths, using plain 3/4 inch pine stock as a sample stock.
- Created multiple letters at .4, .3, .2, and .1 as sample depths.
- I set stock at .75 and reset all XYZ origins to zero (at XY midpoint and top surface of stock)
- Ran the new code.
- Now the code starts running. But it barely makes contact with the wood. But if you stop and say Go To Zero, X and Y go to original zero, but now Z has a new Z origin .48 above the wood.
- I tried resetting my Z origin may times, always resets up higher once code starts.
- And, here is the kicker, if I rerun the ORIGINAL code that I ran the first piece (the one inch cutting board) then it too has the same problem.

What am I doing wrong? I can find nothing in the code that could be resetting my Z origin reference. Is that even possible via code?

Stumped in Iowa
Re: Need help: Z origin reference changes one code starts ????
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »
There are two sets of coordinates, machine home, and work origin.  Which are you resetting?  When I pick up the top of a part using a 3/8" pin under the tool I just click on the value in the Z DRO and enter .375 and hit enter.  The machine says the tool is 3/8" above the part and we are good to go.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
I set both the machine coordinates AND the work origin to zero. Mainly because I don’t understand the difference between them.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:10:52 AM »
Hiya,

Machine coordinates tell the controller where the machine actually is in relation to its home switches or bed stops etc, work coordinates tell the controller where the work is in relation to the bed or table - these can be anywhere on the machine bed.

Generally when you home the machine upon start up, it will go to the home switches and set the machine DRO's to zero. This means you can use soft limits etc to stop running into end stops and such.

That said, some machines/operators never home and don't have limits or home switches :)

You can have multiple work coordinates in play with G55/6/7 etc - really gets fun then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:12:51 AM by Davek0974 »