Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:54:57 PM

Author Topic: Jog a Linear A with Keyboard  (Read 4280 times)

Re: Jog a Linear A with Keyboard
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 06:13:21 AM »
Try enabling the keyboard plugin.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »
Excuse me if I misunderstand, but how could I jog X, Y, and Z, with the keyboard, if the keyboard plugin were disabled?

As an aside, why does the keyboard plugin start disabled anyway? Why doesn't it start in the state it was left in?

And not to distract from my keyboard issue, but in the vein of not starting, why, if I turn of Soft Limits, does it not start ON next time? Or is there some way to have it be active on start?

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »
Hi Thosj,
You have your X Y and Z jogging setup as part of the I/O and now you want to setup the A axis a part of the keyboard. I would suggest that you pick one way or the other. In your picture of the Keyboard plugin page you have no action selected for the XY and Z jogging functions which means that you shouldn't be able to jog but in the other picture you have setup the XYZ jogging as keyboard inputs to the I/O.

Clear as MUD???

See the attached pictures
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »
Thanks, Mike, I'll go try that.

But.......what I don't understand is how am I able to jog X, Y, and Z now? Is the keyboard plugin jogging or are the I/O's jogging. If it's the I/O's, why do I still have to enable the keyboard plugin in the system tray in order to jog X, Y, and Z? Without the tray icon enabled I can't jog XYZ. And why can't I job A no matter what?

I'll disable the I/O stuff and see if I can get it to jog with the keyboard plugin!!!

BTW, we talked at Cabin Fever 4/5 years ago in York, that's how I know you're Mike!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:36:39 PM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
Thanks, Mike, I'll go try that.

But.......what I don't understand is how am I able to jog X, Y, and Z now? Is the keyboard plugin jogging or are the I/O's jogging. If it's the I/O's, why do I still have to enable the keyboard plugin in the system tray in order to jog X, Y, and Z? Without the tray icon enabled I can't jog XYZ. And why can't I job A no matter what?

I'll disable the I/O stuff and see if I can get it to jog with the keyboard plugin!!!

BTW, we talked at Cabin Fever 4/5 years ago in York, that's how I know you're Mike!!!

Let me see if I can explain. Even though you are jogging with the keyboard you are emulating I/Os. Clicking the button on the screen disables all keyboard input regardless of what you are using them for.
I would clear out the I/O keyboard functions and then set it up all in the keyboard plugin.

You can't job the A axis because you don't have it setup up in the I/O and you don't have any function assigned to it in the Keyboard plugin.

I remember you from Cabin Fever. It was very nice to be able to put a face to the screen name.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:06:05 AM »
Hmmm......didn't work. I cleared out the Inputs, so nothing there for Jog, like your screenshot. Setup the Keyboard plugin with the jogs. Now no axis jogged with the keyboard. I put it back, XYZ jog, A does not.

You said "You can't jog A axis because you don't have it setup in the I/O and you don't have any function assigned to it in the Keyboard plugin." If you look up above at my screenshots, it IS setup in I/O and it is the ONLY one setup in the keyboard plugin. When it's like that, XYZ jog and A does NOT!! I tried every combination I could think of and A will not jog with the keyboard.

Your screenshots show nothing setup in I/O and ONLY setup in the plugin. I tried that and no axes jogged. How does yours jog setup like your screenshots and mine does not. What motion controller do  you use? I have an ESS. Maybe that's it?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:09:55 AM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »
Shouldn't make a difference which motion device you use because it even works my way with the PPort plogin/Darwin. If you have the keyboard plugin enabled and a function assigned to every key they should all jog.

Maybe somebody close to you could take a look in person. If you are close enough to me I could stop by. I am in CT.

I will take a better look at one of my machine setups when I get home. If you Skype, PM me your Skype name and I could give you a call. Might be easier to fix this on the phone.

Of course you could always call phone support.

Mike

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Solved!!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
Problem solved, lesson learned.

Short story....long.

While trying to figure out the A not jogging with the keyboard, last night my spindle wouldn't run. Start it, it runs 3 seconds, stops 5 seconds, runs 4 seconds, stops 1 second, on and on forever, will NOT stay running. Now I am pissed, go to bed thinking back to Mach3 tomorrow, every time you TOUCH Mach4 it breaks.

So today, armed with a new attitude. I rename Mach4Hobby to Mach4Hobby_3418 and rename Mach4Hobby_3346 (previous version I had working, missed some versions) to Mach4Hobby. Start up, everything runs as expected, even A jogs with the keyboard, spindle starts and runs forever. Aha, hosed profile. Copy profile, plugins, screen from 3346 to 3418. Startup, spindle won't run, A won't jog. Hmmmm. Delete Mach4Hobby, install 3418 from new download, load license file, copy profile/screenset/plugins over from the 3346 install, all runs as expected. I DID NOT create any new profiles from scratch or start with a new screenset or redownload any plugins!!!

So somehow, the Mach4 base installation got something screwed up. It obviously wasn't my profile, my plugins, nor my screenset. Computer and control box were shut down/restarted at every turn, so it ain't that.

Moral of the story, back up your Mach4Hobby folder, especially ANY time you're going to screw around trying ANYTHING new. If it's working NOW, backup the folder.

I MUST get in the mindset that the second something doesn't work, restore a previously working Mach4Hobby folder from the good ol' D:\ drive and try that!!  >:D

--
Tom